- C H A P T E R 1 -

The raindrops fall slowly, secretly creating a silent song every time a note drops. That song itself is followed by the echoing cries of a new soul. A pair of three-year-old twins cheered happily when their newborn sibling stopped crying and started to smile. Kati chuckled at his second and third child's behavior.

"Papa! Papa!" he turned his head to the side, drawing his full attention to his eldest son, Gregior, "what's her name? "

Kati flinched at the word "name" and slowly turned to his tired wife, Pearla, who gave him a smile of fatigue. Was it fate that the love of his life knew exactly what he was thinking?

"Svoboda,"

"Huh?" the male twin tilted his head in confusion, "weird - Owie!"

Philippines pinched her brother's arm as he whines for her to stop, "Martial! Svoboda nice name!"

The three other members laughed at the twin's childish debate, using every word they have learned. Gregior tugged on his mother's sleeve,

"What does it mean, Mama?" he asked.

"Freedom," her vision gets blurred as she can feel the tears swelling up in her beautiful eyes," we have been promised freedom through her one day..."

- T W O Y E A R S L A T E R -

"Come on, Vo," Gregior said, running away from the little bean chasing him, "catch me if you can!"

Little feet tried to speed up as a two-year-old Svoboda, or Vo for short, reached out her tiny hands out to her elder brother,

"K-koya! Koya*!" she called out, stretching her stubby arms.

Then, a loud THUMP is heard followed by a loud cry, causing Gregior to turn around and sigh in amusement. Chuckling, he walked towards his youngest sister and crouched down.

"Yikes, that's gotta hurt..." he cringed at the purple bruise that appeared on her knee.

He turned around and signaled for her to climb up, "Come on, Mama will be worried if we don't get back soon. I hope she doesn't send out the twins to search for us again."

Vo giggled at his irritated expression and climbed on, happy that she gets a free piggyback ride home. The journey wasn't that long. They passed the fields, parks where children are seen playing, other houses, and finally reached their front doorstep...only to be greeted by a pair of frantic sunshine twins.

"Koya! Vo- wait, what happened to Vo's knee?" Martial asked, stepping closer to the bruise.

Gregior was caught off guard," Oh...uh- she fell, but she'll be okay! Don't worry."

"Of course she will," Martial step back as he crossed his arms with a proud smile," she's from our family and we are all super strong!"

The Philippines and Gregior snorted at the poses he was striking while Vo giggled at his actions, reaching her tiny hands towards him. They all looked at her as she keeps blabbering more gibberish.

"I think she wants you to carry her, Martial," Phil said.

"Alright then, here," Gregior turned around so that Martial could carry Vo away from him," you both take care of her, I'm going to get Mama."

"Alright," Martial replied, playing with his little sister's arms.

Phil observed her twin's interaction with the youngest. If there is anything she can conclude, that would be the fact about how deeply Martial cares for their little sister. This caused a smile to form on her face. But, why does something inside her feel...wrong?

"Phil?" Martial called out, " are you okay?"

His calling broke her out of her trance and she shook her head, looking to the side where her twin is standing. Suddenly, a gasp was heard.

"Oh my! What a bad bruise you got there, little ray," Pearla quickly picked Vo up from Martial's grasp and looked at the two," the both of you could go-ahead to the dining room. Gregior is cleaning himself up."

The two nod at their mother's order. Just as Phil wanted to step forward, a hand landed on her shoulder.

"Hey, you didn't answer my question," Martial narrowed his eyes at his twin's weird behavior.

Phil realized what he meant, " Oh-uh...I'm fine!"

Martial lets go of her shoulder and look at his sister's smile. Something's wrong and he knows it...

"Hey, you two!" they turned to the side, only to see Gregior with his hair tips wet and a towel hanging on his shoulders, " Get in, you'll catch a cold!"

A few minutes later, the four sun children were ready at the dining table. Suddenly, the sound of the front door opening was heard.

"I'm home," a tired heavy voice called out, causing the children to beam in happiness once they knew who it was.

The twins ran to their father, greeted back by a hug," Papa!"

"Welcome home, Papa..." Gregior waved, accompanying little Vo who could only squirm in glee as their father walks towards them.

"Salamat*, squirt," Kati ruffled the eldest's hair and pick up the youngest.

"I'm home, my little sun," he pecked Vo's right chubby cheek as she exclaims in gibberish baby language.

Just then, Pearla appeared with dishes for dinner.

"Oh-Mahal*, you're back," she puts down a plate and kisses her husband's cheek," sit down, dinner is about to start."

That night was one of the warmest nights in the rainy season. Their laughter, their joy, and their love...it was...memorable. Fireflies danced in the black sky as the moon shines down on them. It was perfect...

...If only things as peaceful as the past were eternal...I wouldn't be suffering like nowadays...

-----------------------------------------------------------

AN // Hey guys! It's me again, did you enjoy the first chapter? Sorry if it's short. Anyway, here are some Tagalog vocabulary you may need to know,

Koya: male sibling

Mahal: love

Salamat: thanks/ thank you

Stay tuned for the next chapter! See ya!

- E R I S

-----------------------------------------------------------