Chapter 2: The Monstrous King

I was welcomed by a startled Pierre as I pushed the door to his chamber.

His idiotic face made my insides clenched. I gave him one sly smile and signaled one of my maids; the maid then brought my gift to Pierre.

"I hope that my gift is to your liking, Your Majesty." I began.

"My Queen," he responded.

There it is. His usual choice of words.

I strolled towards him and he was looking at me with a confused expression.

Once I was sitting in front of him, I took a glance at his best friend, the new general, which in return bowed to me.

"My Queen," Pierre repeated attempting to catch my attention.

"Ah, such lovely words from you--" I paused as a maid placed a tea in the table in between us. "But, why is it that I do not sense that I belong to you, my king."

His general, Ropeert awkwardly coughed at my remark.

"It seems that Your Majesties need to talk in private. Your servants and I, are bound to leave this chamber," Ropeert stated.

"No," I retaliated.

I smiled at him. "You are his best friend and I trust my servants. I am confident that words will not get out of this chamber," I said and took a sip of my tea.

"Am I correct?" I asked loudly.

"Certainly, Your Majesty," the servants bowed in chorus.

I gazed at Pierre and he was staring at me, trying to read what my plan is.

"What is it that upset you, My Queen?" Pierre asked cautiously.

"I heard that you canceled our plans for tonight. Why is that, if I may ask?

Pierre gulped at my question and eyed the servants inside his chamber.

"You have been doing this since our marriage, perhaps you are trying to delay our cohabitation, My King?"

Pierre looked at me dangerously upon hearing what I said. He already has an idea of what I intend to do, I'm sure.

The truth is I know words of our conversation will spread inside the castle-like wildfire, that is the reason why I intended to let the servants stay inside the chamber.

If Pierre wants a game, then I will give it to him. This issue will be of the upper hand to me.

If I am not to give an heir, then the people will blame me, that is why I plan to toss the blame on him.

And this is how I play his game.

"Oh, forgive me, My King. It was foolish of me to assume such imprudence," I added.

His hands formed into a fist, as he saw the servant's expressions.

"Your Majesty, the king did not intend to make you feel that way--"

"But of course, it was my mistake Ropeert," I cut. "I mean the King would want an heir, for it is the crown prince who holds the future of Mammillaria. Am I correct, Your Majesty?"

Pierre chose to stay silent and kept on staring at me.

I snickered inwardly. I must have already gotten into his nerves.

"Your Majesty must be enraged by my conclusion," I induced.

Pierre closed his eyes and clenched his fist.