Chapter Four

"Sergeant Barnes", Zola's voice echoed through his head. His eyebrows furrowed feeling the scientists work on his arm, he had no idea it was injured to an extent.

His eyes casted down towards the ground, he couldn't help but wonder where Nia was and if she was safe. His vision blurred as the drill whirred and got louder.
"Bucky", Steve's screamed reached his ears as he fell to his death.
James heart rate increased as he kicked around, launching himself out of the chair. His breathing staggered as he looked around.
"The procedure has already started", Zola's voice echoed as James looked towards his amputated arm.
"You are to be the new fist of Hydra", he explained looking to the other doctors , "put him on ice".

James shook his head in anger as rage coursed through his veins. His muscles bulged as he extended his metal arm and it collided with the doctor who was fixing it. The man flew back across the door knocking over a chair and table. He sat out of breath, his eyes flickering everywhere.
"Sir, he's... he's unstable. Erratic", James heard a door open, his gaze looked to Alexander Pierce who marched in with Rumlow following.

"Mission report", Alexander ordered leaning his hands on his knees as James kept looking around, " mission report, now!" He shouted sternly.

James looked up at Pierce who stepped closer to him, " I let her go", he said as Pierce pulled his hand back and backhanded James in the face. James didn't feel anything, his mind was solely focused on Nia.

"You let her go. You let the asset free", Pierce yelled adjusting his suit.
James wasn't gonna say anything more than what he did. He was gonna protect her from them no matter what it took. He remembered the man.
"The man on the bridge....", James spoke, his voice was calm despite what his memories showed.
"Who was he?"

"You met him earlier this week on another assignment", Pierce said but James had a feeling he was lying.
"I knew him", He said softly staring Pierce dead in the eyes as he took a seat in front of him.

"Your work has been a gift to mankind. You shaped the century, and I need you to do it one more time. Society is at a tipping point between order and chaos. Tomorrow morning we're gonna give it a push. But, if you don't do your part, I can't do mine, and Hydra can't give the world the freedom it deserves".

"But I knew him", James replied roughly.
Pierce turned to the doctors that were around them, he stood up
"Prep him", he ordered.
"But sir, he's been out of cryo-freeze too long", one of the scientists say.

"Then wipe him and start over", Pierce spoke looking at James, " try to keep the memory of the asset. She's a very very valuable person to Hydra and we need her immediately", he says walking up to the scientist.
"Do not ruin this for Hydra or we will ruin you", his arm dropped walking out of the room. James muffled screams could be heard.

••••• ••••••• ••••• ••••••• ••••••• •••••• •••••••

Nia woke with a startled gasp, grabbing her sketchbook, "you okay?", she looked up to see Steve.
"Just a nightmare", she said softly sketching a man on a chair.

"This man declined the Nobel peace prize. He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility. See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues," Fury said looking at a photo of Pierce throwing it on the table.