You'll Never See Daylight; If I'm Not Strong

Addison reconciles with Derek after he's pulled her girlfriend out of Elliot Bay.

"Meredith-"

Addison Montgomery's breath catches when she sees Meredith Grey cold and blue, lying lifeless on the table as Richard, Bailey, and Burke work on her.

"Don't do this-"

"Addison, we've got this," says Richard firmly.

"Have you tried-"

"Addison, you can't do this. We've got to do this," says Richard.

Addison begins rattling off suggestions as Richard tries to get her to leave the room. "Addison you can't do this, you've got to leave the room and let us do this-" says Richard.

"But-"

"Get her out of here," says Richard, his heart breaking for Addison as a nurse leads her out of the room. Addison collapses against the wall in the hallway, tears finally falling as she replays the image of Meredith freezing in the trauma room in front of her.

Silently, Derek approaches her, and sits down next to her.

Normally she'd yell, or push him away, but this time she just sits.

"I was there, and I'd seen her earlier but then I had a patient..." Derek says softly, as Addison continues to sob. "When I came back to check up on her, there was a child who I recognized from before, Meredith had been helping her to find her family. So I asked her where Meredith was, and she walked up to the edge of the pier, and she pointed straight out into the ocean."

Addison nods, not looking up at Derek yet.

"She kept looking over the bay as if she expected Meredith to come out at any moment, and that's when I jumped in. And I saw her, and she was sinking. She wasn't swimming, so I dove down deep, and I picked her up, and I swam and I swam, and I came up to the dock, and they got her into the ambulance. And we did CPR, and we came here."

Addison starts sobbing harder, and Derek reaches to comfort her, then pulls his hand back, and then he reaches out to Addison to comfort her again.

Derek places his hand gently on Addison's wrist, and Addison leans into him, and she cries.

"Is she gonna be okay?" Addison asks him.

"I don't know, I can't tell you that, I'm sorry," says Derek.

"Thanks, Derek," says Addison. "Thank you. For bringing her back."

Derek nods, and he sits there as long as Addison will let him, and Addison cries, and Derek cries a little bit too. And Mark joins them, and Addison and Derek let him. And they wait for a really long time.

They ask Derek to come in, to check on her brain function.

"How is she?" Addison leaps the moment the door opens.

"It's not good," Derek sighs.

"What!? I have to go in there," Addison flails.

"No, Addison. You're in no shape," says Mark.

Derek pushes past them to go talk to Meredith's friends.

"It's not good," he sighs. "You should maybe... Prepare yourselves..."

Addison hears him through the doorway, and her heart breaks in two.

It's two hours later when they've finally warmed her up to eighty-eight-nine degrees.