T h e D r y n e s s O f A u t u m n

364 t h  D a y , A u t u m n , B r o k e n  L e a v e s , D r y

''And then, it is autumn, and all the falling that comes with it. I am the colour of the leaves of the trees who decided it was time to let go of those you love.''

                                                                                   - The Dry Autumn Leaf

It was a year. 

It was a swirl of tints and shades, and all he could see was her beautiful, beautiful face, and her black eyes, and black hair, and black heart that became white just for him. She didn't know gray.

And it was a year since she saw him, and a year since he fell for her. He fell hard, and he knew he could never defy the laws of gravity.

And maybe because it was autumn, and he was sitting under the trees, and she was holding his hands, and his head was on her shoulder, and on his lap fell this perfect, perfect maple leaf. Something that his life was not before he met her.

He knew he couldn't ever tell her how much he loved her. But in the lost world of space and time and colours and music, there was a knowledge hidden deep within that both knew was true as the white snow that will come after the autumn.

He wouldn't make it.

But she loved him all the same, and it amazed him. She just didn't have the capacity to love. Not anyone, not herself. 

She was just as broken. 

But she managed to pick the rainbow coloured shards that slit her fingers, and she did it.

She was the dark to his white, the strong to his weak, the heart to his mind, the soul to his body, the colour to his page, the music to his instrument.

He loved her.

And he knew she deserved everything in the world. Everything he was not. 

Maybe, after he was gone, he'd leave  n o t h i n g  behind, because she was so much better than what he could ever hope to be.