Prologue

"Don't forget, Harry. You have the Wizengamot today."

Harry had forgotten. Between all of the meetings, speeches, trials, and funerals, he'd barely gotten a moment to breathe since the war ended. He honestly wasn't sure if he would have made it this far if not for Hermione.

"Right. Thanks. Which one is this?"

There had been a near endless stream of trials after the war, and Harry had spoken at quite a few of them. He and Neville had worked together to ensure the Carrows a lifetime spot in Azkaban. He'd spoken up for Narcissa Malfoy and helped get her acquitted. Lucius Malfoy, on the other hand, was found guilty almost immediately.

"This morning is..." Hermione checked her notes. "Corban Yaxley. I don't think you have to go to that one, he'll likely be convicted. It'll be difficult to refute the things he's done unless he cries Imperius, which isn't likely. And then..."

"And then?" Harry prompted when he realized she wasn't continuing. "Who is it this afternoon?"

"Malfoy," she said quietly.

"Mal– Draco Malfoy?" Hermione nodded. "Shit."

Malfoy was the big question mark. It was impossible to deny that he had committed the crimes he was accused of, but there was more to it than 'did he or didn't he?'

"Okay. I'm going to that one. I have to. When is that?"

"The proceedings start at 1:30," Hermione answered. "But Harry... why go? He is, according to the law, a war criminal."

"Because it's more than that. He was also a child. We all were."

"Okay. You know I'll follow your lead on this, but..." Hermione sighed. "I'm just afraid there's not much you can do."

"I have to try." And Harry Potter was determined to succeed.