Chapter 8 - Confessions to a Shopaholic

It was now two in the afternoon when Sam was sat in Kate's car. She wore a black denim jumpsuit with a white tee and white trainers while he was comfortable in his black sweater and skinny jeans. He looked out at the street zooming past while a familiar pop song was playing on the radio.

Sam thought of how his mother used to play the radio every morning. He could remember the flood of orange light pouring in from the kitchen window, making her curly, honey-brown hair glisten as it swayed side to side while she prepared breakfast. He remembered her bright yellow polka-dot dress and red nails. He remembered the tantalizing aroma of eggs and bacon, accompanied with the searing sound of oil being spat from the stove. Bliss, Sam thought.

Suddenly, he was back. Back in the dark cabin of Kate's car as it grumbled on. Kate looked at him and asked,

"Are you okay? I think you were daydreaming."

"No, I'm good... So how long till we get there?" Sam asked, while shuffling in the leather seats.

"Not long now, House of Devereaux is just around the corner. But with L.A. traffic, let's say ten years." She glanced at Sam, expecting him to chuckle or at least smile. Something was perturbing him, and she wanted to find out. Kate asked casually,

"What's wrong? Are you nervous for the charity fundraiser in London?" Sam noticed that was a sign to let her in. He wanted so badly to tell her his secret. But something always held him back.

"Yeah, I guess so." He said, as a tinge of disappointment developed within him.

"Well don't be... You are going with me, the daughter and future CEO of VI, so you're already pretty high up on the guest list. Plus, it's my Dad's event so you've got nothing to worry about."

Kate had a habit of always checking in on him. Maybe she realized that under the front of being an unproblematic and quick-witted person, he was a guy who bottled everything up. She noticed the faint scars on the back of his bronzed neck and arms, but never enquired about them. Kate pondered how he would naturally face the exit of a room; how he would drop his head when walking in public; or how it would take longer for him to warm up and talk to new people. He didn't realize how intelligent or how funny he was. He didn't realize how charmingly endearing he seemed when he spoke. Most of all, he didn't realize his disorientating good looks; The tanned skin, honey-brown hair, hazel eyes and full lips, all framed within a perfectly contoured face. She snapped herself out of this chain of thought as she continued in the slow and steady traffic.

"Kate, how come you don't get driven around like your Dad does? Wouldn't it be easier and more convenient?" He asked, while turning his head which was now leaning on the leather headrest.

"I like the feeling of driving myself, I don't know... It makes me feel normal, I guess. But it wasn't always like this. My Dad insisted that I got a driver and personal security, but I had to bargain with him. We managed to settle for a bulletproof car and distanced, undercover security." She said casually.

Sam perked his head up from the seat as his chin dropped. "This car is bulletproof?"

"Yeah, why do you think the doors are so heavy?" She looked at him and continued, "My security detail has been ordered to stay distanced from me and leave me alone during class hours."

"Are they following us now?" He said, already knowing the answer he was about to get. She nodded quietly as her sharp blue eyes darted to her rear-view mirror. A small convulsion strummed along Sam's temples as the sudden feeling of being watched crept upon him. "Shit, Katie."

"They change cars frequently, but I'm used to it. The tell-tale sign is a discrete, business-class car that always drives within the speed limit and stays three or four cars behind the target vehicle. If you look behind us, there's a black sedan with two guys wearing sunglasses. They both have a clear white earpiece, connected to a thin wire that runs down the side of their neck".