8

The change wasn't painful, in fact, Annabel didn't really feel anything at all. The bed became softer, and the colors of the room became more vivid. Her mind felt full of life, like everything around her was surreal. She was now living in a lucid dream. She could smell the unlit candles, the scent strong and heady, vanilla and caramel. She could smell the sex they just had. It was all so overwhelming, but in a quixotic sense. It almost didn't seem real, but it was deadly so.

She opened her mouth, and without effort her fangs sprang to life. Lucas stared down at her, smiling fondly at her gorgeous transformation.

He laid down beside her again, taking her into his arms, "We don't sleep. But let us rest. I want to hold you."

She smiled happily, cozying into him. He felt so good that even though sleep wasn't an option, she felt like she could doze off. This for eternity was a wonderful thought.

Lucas closed his eyes relishing the moment. He finally found true love. But as he lay there, unmoving and free of thought, he realized he couldn't move, paralyzed. Then it happened, his normally black vision turned white, and he went numb. He could no longer feel Annabel on top of him, he was no longer holding her.

He opened his eyes and the room was brighter. He was confused, disoriented. He knew Annabel was no longer with him. Then he felt fingertips playing along his arm. He looked over to see-

Rose.

She was regarding him happily, almost dreamily. Then she spoke, "Lucas, darling. Are you alright?"

She sounded just as sweet and looked just as fair as when he had known her, but her touch spoke of years between them, as though they had been together this whole time. He closed his eyes again, hoping he'd return back to his moment with Annabel. But it did no good. He opened them again and Rose was now looking at him a bit concerned.

He shifted so that he could face her, "How... how are you here?"

She reached up to cup his cheek, "My love, what ever do you mean? We were talking of the art gallery. Do you not remember? You were fine just a moment ago."

He shook his head. No. This wasn't real. It couldn't be. He lifted a hand to hers, turning his head to kiss her palm. He no longer wished for her, but the memory of her was still so fond, he had truly loved her. "My Rose," he spoke against her, "I do not know how I got here. This is not my life. You died long ago."

She moved closer, running her hand through his hair and kissing him on the forehead, "My sweet Lucas, I don't know what you're saying. I'm right here. Why are you acting like this?"

He brought a hand up to the back of her head, drawing her in for a kiss, "I am sorry, my dear. I did not mean to worry you."

She smiled, nuzzling into him, "Shall we get ready to go?"

He nodded.

Then he heard his name being called in the distance.

"Lucas!"

Screaming out. Over and over.

His eyes flashed open.

There was Annabel, hovering over him, shaking him, a look of utter fear on her face.

Annabel had decided to make conversation, but when she spoke there was no reply. She found it odd that he'd ignore her. He couldn't have been asleep, as he had told her they couldn't. She spoke again and there was no response. She looked at him, sitting up, prodded at him. He was lifeless, nothing roused him. Fear spiked through her. Vampires couldn't just die. She knew for a fact. Or at least she thought she did. He couldn't be dead. He just couldn't be. So she shook him, yelling out his name, on the verge of tears.