A Means to an End

"I'm not afraid of you."

Wanda looked at him, a little puzzled, "I don't want you to be afraid of me," she said, " I just want you to feel my pain." She neared closer to Hayward who was slowly backing away, hoping he could talk some sense into her,
"Wanda this isn't you" he said, but it was no use. Her mind was made up. With her hand twitching at the side of her hip, she looked Hayward in the eyes,
"I want you to feel his pain."
The image of Vision replaying in her mind as a reminder of her grief. Multiple flashes of red emerged from her fingertips as Hayward began to scream from excruciating pain. "You did this to him!" she screamed, lifting him into the air and intensifying her power. Hayward's limbs began to crack, his screams only getting louder, "S-stop" he pleaded, barely being able to get the words to exit his mouth. Wanda showed no mercy, her eyes gleamed the same shade of red that held Hayward captive to his own mutilating body. This was it. This was the moment she would get her revenge. Hayward's screams came to a halt as his eyes rolled back into his head. In that moment, only a faint sound of whimpering could be heard, a whimpering that quickly faded into silence as the colour vanished from his body. He was gone.

Wanda let go and his lifeless body dropped to the ground. She looked once...hoping to feel some guilt, but all she felt was relief. Relief that her husband was finally avenged. She felt no remorse. And perhaps he did not deserve it, he was a liar, corrupt, a heartless corporate machine that profited off the pain of those below him. Perhaps he deserved his fate...but who was Wanda to decide?

"I'm sorry," she whispered, crying as she walked away from her doing. And she was sorry, not for what she had done, but that it took her this long to do. To her, this was merely a means to an end. It was all justified, she wasn't doing this for herself. In her mind, this was all for Vision. A Vision that was taken from her. Her grief was never going to hold her back, in-fact it made her stronger.  "Til we meet again," she cried to herself. Her arms lifted her off the platform into the evening sky, a flare of red keeping her levitated in the air. She scanned the city below, looking for her next mission. Her next target.

It only took a matter of seconds before her eyes locked onto him. A kind, naive gentleman who Wanda had no intention of harming. They've met before, briefly, but she remembered him, he was nice to her. She hovered closer to the location, extinguishing her powers hoping to get a good listen in to their conversation.

"Hey Jimmy!," an officer yelled, "you going to the meeting tomorrow?"

"Yeah! Im definitely going, you?" he replied

"I mean yeah, I heard they wanna drum up some kind of task force"

"What? Why?"

"Not sure, but between you and me, there are some rumours going around"

"What kind of rumours?"

"Director Hayward isn't in custody anymore. They think he escaped."

And with that news, Wanda receded into the alleyway. Her hands began to sweat and her breathing became arrhythmic, struggling to cope with reality. She looked around nervously, though nobody saw her, the paranoia began eating away at her the longer she lingered in that alley. They won't find him she thought.

"What did I do?" she whispered to herself, breathing heavily. A rush of panic running through her veins, no, she had to escape.  She couldn't be there, she couldn't risk somebody placing her in the location where she knows Hayward's body will be found. She had to leave. With full power, she flew into the air and did not stop until she knew she was far enough. Tears hindering her vision as she looked ahead with nowhere to go. No place to run to.

She had no one.