chapter one

TW: caps, food mention, suicide, suicidal thoughts, self harm, overdosing, cursing, homophobia (yes me mutual does have dark headcanons but they're good ones) This stuff is mainly only going to be in this chapter only, but I'll put TWs in the beginning of every chapter if there is one. The suicide stuff is mainly going to be modeled after my personal experiences with mental health (if you care, i haven't tried and am not really planning to) so i'm sorry if you feel like it's off.

Oh and Annabeth is not going to be as toxic as she is in the books. I just love the idea of her and Malcolm's friendship okay.

I am a terrible writer so beware (the A/Ns are mainly me making fun of myself)

(A/N before we begin, I'd like to add that in this version they're gen z so yeep)

Malcolm groaned and rolled over in his bed, shutting his alarm off as it blared. He rubbed his eyes, flopping back under his covers. It's Friday, he remembered, and he felt a little better. But then he also remembered that Friday meant he still had school.

Sure, Malcolm was possibly the smartest kid in school, but that doesn't mean he, an ADHD dyslexic kid, enjoyed sitting in a chair all day with many ableist teachers telling him to "just concentrate," or "focus and do your work, it isn't hard," or "didn't you ever learn how to read?" Fun. (He had glasses for dyslexia, but it didn't help when they had fancy fonts and handwriting in bright colors. It often took him a couple seconds to comprehend the words.)

Malcolm dragged himself downstairs, mumbling a quiet "hi" to his stepmom who was only awake because her job required her to get up early. Despite what everyone says about step-parents, she was really nice to him, almost like a real mother.

Natalie smiled at him. "Morning Malcolm. How'd you sleep?"

Malcolm yawned and stretched. "Good." He grabbed some toast and got ready for school quickly. "Bye Natalie!" He yelled over his shoulder as he walked out the door.

Le time skip

"Sup," Malcolm said to Darren, his best friend and fellow only-smart-person-in-this-fuckin-town.

"Hey, man." The two fist-bumped. "You ready for math?"

"Hell no," Malcolm groaned. "Malcolm, why aren't you paying attention? Malcolm, stop moving around so much! Malcolm, why didn't you do the homework? Malcolm, you're really smart, why aren't you getting this? No Malcolm don't blame it on your fake condition again! Malcolm, Malcolm, Malcolm! Sorry Susan, but maybe if you were a better teacher especially to ADHD kids I wouldn't be failing. I already know this stuff but the way she teaches is so ugh. Plus, I literally can't read, and ADHD making me not have any reading comprehension doesn't help."

Darren snorted. "Too true."

"If high school is like this I'm dropping out and running away," Malcolm deadpanned.

"But what about me?" Darren asked teasingly.

"Oh, I'm definitely leaving you," Malcolm grinned, "that'll be the main highlight. I don't have to see you anymore.

Darren put a hand on his chest. "How could you betray me like this, Malcolm! And to think I thought we were friends." He shook his head, wiping a fake tear away. Yeah, they were basically the most dramatic kids in the school.

Malcolm laughed, the two making their way to their homeroom.

Le time skip

Malcolm sighed, flopping on his bed. He pulled his phone out, texting Darren.

Only bitch in this mf that can do algebra
hey dude

Hecky heck i crave death (A/N no I can't do usernames ok)
hey