Old Friends

My mom comes in the kitchen and sit at the table next to me. The air between us is very thin and suffocating. I can tell she has a lot on her mind just by looking at her face. She was bright red with a puzzled look on her face as if she lost someone close. Confused.

"Is everything ok?" Did I do something wrong?" I don't think I did anything wrong as far as I am concerned, I remember when she bonked me on the side of my head the other day.

"I wanted to apologize for the way I retaliated on you the other day. I found out I have to push more hours because we had to let some people go last week." I did not mean to hurt you and I want to make it up to you by taking you on a shopping trip this weekend. If that's ok with you."

Part of me wanted to walk away and continue the cold shoulder, but the other part of me just wants to hug her. So I did. I was excited about this shopping trip because this is the only time I get to spend with my mom. She works hard and keeps a smile on her face. I don't know how she does it, but I like to see her smile and happy.

"That sounds great." I said subconsciously. "I would love to go. But are you sure you're ok? I mean, you came in here like you lost your best friend." I give her a hug and I excuse myself from the kitchen table.

I walk down the hall to my room and get ready for school. The last day of school. I don't have to go, but in order to keep my mom from throwing's things at me, I'm gonna go to school. Strumming through the clothes in my closet, I think about Mr. Wheeler. Hmm.. Should I dress skimpy and catch his attention, or classy and not whorish like the other girls at my school. I mean it is the last day of school, so I can go in my PJs if I wanted to. My mom says you should always dress to look like somebody and not dress looking like a nobody. So I guess I can go with the ripped jeans and T-shirt. I walk back down the hall grabbing my bookbag and notebooks. I meet my mom at the door and she opens it.

" Have a great day at school, and I will pick you up today." It's the last day of school, so why not go out with a bang. She says smiling.

I have never seen my mom smile this much. She must be geeked up on her prescription again. I don't want any visual conclusions. I just like to see my mom happy. I walk down to the bus stop where all the kids in my neighborhood is waiting for the bus. The bus pulls up and everyone gets on. This is the last day of school, I wonder how many students are gonna actually show up today. Kids are raised differently nowadays. It's like they become friends with their parents just to have beef in the future. I don't want that life. I tell my mom everything she needs to know, and keep it moving. I love my mom, but she doesn't need to know EVERYTHING. If I decide to start dating, then maybe I will let her in. But as of now, my business is my business.

We finally arrive at school. Gathering my things, I see an old friend who just arrived at school as a new student. She just moved from Tennessee with her dad and little brother. They are both attending this school. Mr. Wheeler was giving them a tour of the campus. The girls' name is Christie McEntire. She stands about 5'7 medium long brunette hair and a coke bottle for a shape. She has always been a beautiful girl. She is a bit tomboyish as well. Also a class clown. So I can only imagine the classes we are gonna have next year. I wonder why today did she pick to come now? Her little brother stands about the same height, with brunette and blonde streaks in his bowl shaped haircut. His name, is Ronnie. Ronald Buschwick but we grew up calling him Ronnie. They both have the same mother but different dads. Ronnie grew up with Christie's dad. After Ronnie was born, his dad was arrested for violating probation a few years ago and the feds finally caught him. Ronnie grew up knowing Christie's dad as his dad. We all kinda had a rough life growing up, but its much better now. Christie looked up and our eyes met. She gave me that "I miss you" stare and walked away. Her brother wasn't too far behind. They follow the dean down the pathway back to his office.