𝐈𝐈𝐈; 𝑠𝑖𝑟𝑒𝑛

𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄. 𝗌𝗂𝗋𝖾𝗇

the last few weeks have been a mixture of things

the last few weeks have been a mixture of things. sometimes, sending me on a path of emotions that vary greatly.

first, there was the job of finding necessities. food, water, shelter, weapons. maybe even people.

of course, not all of that happened. no, that would simply be too good to be true.

i suppose i'm grateful that i did find the first three things. even though, it took longer than i would've liked.

i, in fact, did find some food in that seven-eleven. along with that location, i found some canned goods along a walkway of shops that border a georgian street.

as for water, i came across some spare jugs-full at some random quick-mart. i've been living off of my supply for over four weeks now; if my math is correct.

i'm holed up in the back of a deserted pizza joint, currently. the kitchen had an abundant stash of cooking knifes and dish ware; some of which, have helped me maintain survival.

but, no people. none. or, at least none worth meeting. not even scavengers.

i must admit i've been hesitant to leave my little safe haven; petrified even. now that i have everything i need right here, i haven't been able to get myself to leave.

seems as though the initial adrenaline has already up and left my veins.

the first few days of this apocalyptic shit, i was scavenging all of this stuff and killing snappers left and right. now, all i can think about is those horrifying things outside the comfortable confines of antonio's pizza shack; and how much i never want to see one again.

especially when i try to sleep. i haven't had that in a long time. i just sit here. sometimes, i organize the shelves of my kitchen or do household chores.

but, those distractions can only block out so many of my thoughts.

those things outside, they weren't all bitten. i know it. or, perhaps the attack i watched through the window was all a hallucination.

there was a man, surrounded by other men. they beat the supplies from his fingers; his cold, dead ones. desperate people do the most horrific things.

and then, they left. but, i stayed and simply watched the dead body; not expecting what i got.

honestly, it was the guilt that kept me by the shop window. i could've at least tried to help, but i thought selfishly.

the corpse only twitched at first. barely even a movement at all. i almost turned away from the window when i saw it, but i stayed to make sure i just imagined it. unfortunately, i did not.