𝐈𝐕; 𝑤𝑜𝑜𝑑𝑏𝑢𝑟𝑦

𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑.   𝗐𝗈𝗈𝖽𝖻𝗎𝗋𝗒

"merle! get down here!" i holler up the staircase, hoping to wake him from his nap

rolling my eyes and tapping my foot, i realize he's hardly even listening.

"now! you fucking asshole!" the severe rise of my volume seems to knock him from his bed, as a heavy thump is heard from that floor.

i chuckle while walking back into the kitchen. freshly made coffee awaits under the machine, along with a bagel and half a dozen bacon strips.

eyeing the steaming coffee, i shove the last piece of bacon into my mouth. unfortunately for me, caffeine is not a prime pregnancy substance. at least, according to every maternity book i've ever read.

and, trust me, i'm feeling the effects of such a condition. no caffeine for nine months is no easy feat. i cannot imagine the misery to come within the remaining months of pregnancy without it.

footsteps echo closer just as i get up from the barstool. i approach the sink, ready to wash the dish i dirtied.

"hey, sweets. how ya feelin' this fine mornin?" i roll my eyes at his nickname.

"i thought i told you to stop with that dumb name. i'm not a piece of candy, you pervert."

i turn to face his scruffy figure, leaning against the counter with a towel in hand.

"now, come on. you don't mean that, doll." merle spreads his arms wide mockingly with a huge smile.

my head shakes in humor as merle ambles towards me. his hand finds its way to my swollen stomach.

"how's baby? doin alright?" his eyebrows furrow in slight concern.

"fine. it's fine. i got an appointment today actually." i relay the information while moving away from his hand, grabbing the plate i've made him.

"made breakfast. again." i give a tight smile before facing the sink once more.

"well thank ya, sweets. need someone to come with ya? to the appointment, i mean."

i shrug in response, trying to downplay how much i do need someone there. i don't know how capable i am of handling something like this on my own.

in a perfect world, shane would be by my side for the first doctor's appointment. obviously, this is no ideal reality. that simply does not exist.

"alright. well, i'm comin' anyways."

a small grin forms across my lips. this, making me grateful for the fact that my back is the only thing that merle can see. he would never let me hear the end of it.

"yeah, yeah. only because you've basically forced yourself." i speak through the smile, trying not to sound as relieved as i really am.

"ya had the last one real early. we should get goin if it's anything like that." merle chews his food while presenting his point.