Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Ella's POV

The bell rang for the end of 8th period. I sighed in relief. Geometry class was finally over. Now, I just had to head to psychology class and I was done with school for the day. I slowly gathered my books and binders and exited the room. I was really tired. I haven't gotten a full night's sleep in what seems like forever. It's hard to sleep with a one-year-old to look after. And it's even harder with Tommy added into the picture. He and Gabby can sure be a handful.

After making a few turns and going down a flight of steps, I made it to the psychology room. It was an average sized classroom, painted tan, with a bunch of posters with cheesy quotes covering a large portion of the walls. I slumped down in my seat near the back corner of the classroom and waited for the remaining students to get to class. I actually love this class. It's a great way to end the day. Psychology has always struck an interest in me since I was in middle school.

When the bell finally rang again, signaling that class had officially started, Ms. Turner stood up from her desk and headed towards the white board. She picked up a purple marker and wrote out the word "HALLUCINATIONS" on the board.

"Okay class, who can tell me what a hallucination is?" she asked. A few hands went up and she called on a girl with blond hair, Macy.

"It's like, when you see or hear something that isn't really there." she said. Ms. Turner nodded.

"Yes, Macy. And that's what we're going to be talking about this week. Hallucinations are very complex. When a person hallucinates, it can be anything from a weird smell to seeing people or patterns." she explained. Another girl in the front row raised her hand. "Yes, Allie?"

"How do you get hallucinations? Like, what causes them?" she asked, sounding generally interested in the topic.

"Let's see, it can be brain tumors, delirium, dementia, medication side effects, seizure disorders, severe fatigue, sleep deprivation, substance abuse, vision or hearing loss, and so on." Ms. Turner said, counting each cause with her fingers. "There will be a list of causes on the handout I'll give you further into class."

**********

The rest of the period went by quickly. I learned a great deal of things about hallucinations that I was never aware of. But before I knew it, I was on the bus, going home. I was dropped me off at the bus stop and I found myself walking over to Mrs. Payne's house. She lives a couple houses away from me and she's an incredibly nice lady. She's probably around her late 30s or early 40s and she lives by herself. She and her husband divorced a few years ago. She told me that they slowly fell "out of love" with each other and they decided divorce. What amazes me is that they are still friends and they still keep in touch. She also has a son, around my age, she tells me. We've never met, though. He lives with his father.

I pushed the small, white button, ringing her doorbell. After a few seconds, she opened the door with Gabby in her arms. She was dressed in a small, white shirt and blue overalls. My face immediately lit up at the sight of my daughter.

"Hi, honey!" I said in my baby voice. Gabby started to giggle and reached her arms out to me. Mrs. Payne handed her to me and hurried me into her house.

"Hurry, get in. We don't want your mother seeing you here." she warned. I nodded. She's completely right. My mom doesn't like Mrs. Payne. Actually, she doesn't really like anyone for the matter. She's so cold and bitter. She thinks that I leave Gabby at a daycare center while I go to school, but in reality, Gabby is here. We walked into the kitchen and sat on the stools. "I was just about to feed her." Mrs. Payne smiled, handing me her bottle. I happily took it from her and began feeding Gabby. I cradled her in my arms as she drank the milk from the bottle. "So how was school?" she asked.