Chapter Five: Confessions and Carrots

Tuesday arrived, and I was thrilled that the school day was finally over. Well, until Matt called my name and caught up with me.

"You coming to Brodie's later?" he asked, acting like he hadn't been ignoring me since Sunday.

"To do what?" I questioned.

"I don't know. He's practicing with the band," Matt shrugged.

"Uh, sure. I'll be there," I replied hesitantly.

"Cool. See you later," he smiled and walked off.

"Bye?" I said, confused. "What the hell?"

He was always so confusing. He really did remind me of that Katy Perry song.

A couple of hours later, I was heading to Brodie's. I had changed into black jeans and a gray sweatshirt that read "California, West Coast" across the front. I tucked the sweatshirt into my jeans and slipped on my white Nike Air Max sneakers.

I took an Uber to Brodie's house as usual and walked in to find him munching on chips in the kitchen.

"Hey, Press said you might show up," Brodie said, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

"Stop," I groaned, walking over to him and grabbing a handful of chips. "Who else is here?"

"Press, Hunter, and Padma—Jordan's mom made him quit the band," Brodie laughed. "I think Ginny's on her way too."

"Great," I rolled my eyes. "Has Matt said anything to you?"

"No, why?" Brodie asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Promise me you won't tell anyone," I said, biting my lip nervously.

"I promise. Scout's honor," he joked, and I playfully rolled my eyes.

"At the sleepover, we kissed—well, more like ate each other's faces. Neither of us said anything afterward, but the next morning we talked about it. I rambled on about pretending it never happened and that I know he doesn't like me like that, and blah blah blah. He's been ignoring me ever since, except earlier when he asked if I was coming here. He's just so confusing," I groaned, laying my head on Brodie's chest as he patted my back.

"You kissed?" he almost shouted, eyes wide.

"Shh!" I covered his mouth with my hand. "But yes, we did."

"Did you... like it?" Brodie asked hesitantly after I removed my hand from his face.

"Well, from what I remember, I think I did," I shrugged.

"Ooh! You're in love!" he sang.

"No, I'm not," I denied. "Anyway, enough about that. What do I do?"

"I don't know. Maybe talk to him about it? Or just see what happens when we go into the basement," Brodie suggested. "I'd try to make a move fast, though. Because I think Abby wants a piece of him."

"Don't remind me. Did you see the way he was flirting with her at the sleepover?" I pouted.

"Wait, was that what you were upset about?" he smirked.

"No," I lied.

"You totally like him. And I've said this before and I'll say it again, I really do think he likes you too," he wiggled his eyebrows again.

"You're so annoying. Can we go already?" I asked impatiently.

"Why can't you just go by yourself?" he furrowed his brows.

"I don't want to go down there by myself," I replied as if it were obvious.

"Oh my God," Brodie laughed.