The Mask of the Conqueror

Aether wasnt necessarily alone, but he definitely lacked the confidence to approach others. Who would want to approach him anyways? He always wore the same boring braid to school, his arms wrapped around whatever school book he was holding, along with the fact that he was selectively mute. He was unlikeable to no ends and he even looked like someone you wouldnt want to concern yourself with. He didnt like the fact that he had to attend such a public school, even with all the money they had gotten from their inheritance and relatives. Its for your own good his sister told him once, but if it resulted in others picking on him when they realised how incapable he was, then hed prefer not going to school at all.

His sister, Lumine, didnt know that he was getting bullied, due to her having to work, she barely saw him when he came home and they never really spoke about his school life together. Ever since the accident, a sort of wall had placed itself between the siblings, distancing them from one another. How pathetic. At seventeen years old, he was still helpless against others. A phone lit up nearby, interrupting his trail of thought, (he personally hates it when phones chime, so his phone is always on silent).

Lumine: Hey! Aether, could you clean out the attic for me? I was supposed to do it earlier, but they needed me at work- its not much, dont worry! Just dust it down and it should be fine!

Aether: Okay.

With an inaudible sigh, the teen got out of bed and left his phone where his body was previously, leaving his room to grab the duster. It wasnt a long walk to their cleaning cabinet, as it took him barely five minutes to get there and retrieve the duster and a stepping stool, before heading towards the attic. Once Aether had placed the stool down to stand on it and pull on the string hanging above his head, a tile moved and gave way to the ladder that fell soon after, Aether catching it to pull it down slowly.

It wasnt long before he had gotten up and given everything a gentle brush of the duster, the shabby light glaring at him as he stumbled upon an open box. How odd he thought to himself as he crouched down briefly to retrieve the lid. Aether didnt know what compelled him to look inside before he placed the lid on top, but what he saw inside the box, halted his movements completely. A mask. It was beautiful.

Reaching inside of the box, Aether carefully picked up the mask, not wanting to damage it as he brought it closer to his face. It was such a detailed mask, any mask maker would kill for a mask carved as well as this. The gold complimented the accents of pink, blue and the subtle brush of green, all resting on a black base; the design itself was one that Aether had never seen before. It was unique. Crouching down again, he looked at the box for any hints as to where this mask came from.

Conqueror of Demons the box read, interesting Aether as he continued reading, Alatus. Call for him and he shall come. It was quite a short description, but he guessed this belonged to the Conqueror of Demons, Alatus- what a lovely name, but how did Alatus mask even get up here in his attic? Was he a God of some sort? Leaving his questions unanswered, Aether held the mask in his hand as he closed the box and left the attic, picking up the duster on the way out. Once he had gotten down safely, he pushed the ladder up, tugging on the same string, in order for it to appear again, sealing off the attic.

Aether put the duster and stool back in the cleaning cabinet, before heading back to his room with the mask still in hand.

What an interesting find.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi- this is just an introductory chapter for Aether- Xiao will be in the next chapter, don't worry