Run

"Fine, if you will not respond, I will just take my leave, but don't mention that name again from this moment on," the stranger said, already swiftly making his exit as Aether scrambled to close his bag and put it on properly, hurrying after the other male and latching onto the back of his blazer. They didn't have uniforms, so why did this guy have some sort of suit on? What was he even doing? Aether didn't normally go out of his way to socialise with anyone else, let alone a stranger, so he didn't know what compelled him to keep this stranger here. "What is it? I have other duties to attend to," the stranger continued, turning slightly to look at Aether.

He tried. He really tried to answer verbally, but couldn't help feeling paranoid about the consequences of doing such a thing in public. There were eyes everywhere, but this stranger had a calming presence and he had to find out why his nerves weren't acting up like they usually would. Of course, his hands were shaking slightly though, he would never feel completely safe. No matter who he trusted, they would always turn on him, but maybe he could take this chance. Frustrated, Aether quickly took out his phone and opened his notes as fast as he could, feeling the stranger shift under his hold as he typed with his free hand, as if he wanted to move away. It did take at least a minute or two, due to the lack of functionality he currently had, but it was worth it as he held his phone up to the other male.

May I come with you? You're probably busy, but I promise to not bother you too much.

The stranger looked at Aether briefly, before reading his message, visibly digesting the question as his eyebrows raised slightly. "If you must. " The stranger paused as he leaned back, turning around to start walking off, causing Aether to let go of him, hurrying to fall into step beside him. "Also, please refer to me as Xiao instead... Alatus is a name you should not know, please forget about it," Xiao continued, practically pleading and not looking at Aether as he stared straight ahead instead, leading the way to their next destination. Aether nodded, even though Xiao couldn't see it. Xiao... It had a nice ring to it.

They had been walking for quite a while in silence, admittedly not the uncomfortable kind, even entering a completely different building that Aether didn't know was even apart of the school as they eventually approached a certain classroom, Xiao stopping to look at him briefly before knocking on the closed door and announcing his presence, heading inside. "Master."

"Ah, Xiao, you have returned- you left so suddenly, what happened? May I also ask who that is, tagging along with you?" As Aether looked up, he noticed someone sitting at the teacher's desk at the front, a kind smile directed at him as they spoke.

"I do not know, they somehow called me by my old name-"

"Your old name? How is that possible?"

"I have no idea, any traces should've been wiped, along with my mask and battle gear" Xiao answered, turning to Aether with a sharp glare, causing the shorter male to curl into himself under the heated gaze.

"Xiao, calm down" the stranger ordered, rising from their seat and approaching Aether calmly, "may I ask how you found out about my dear Xiao's name?" He didn't know why, but he felt threatened by the both of them. To save his own skin, he had to answer their questions. Pulling out his phone, Aether started typing out his response, ignoring the odd glance he got from the two of them before he showed them his phone.

I found a mask in my attic yesterday and the engraving said it belonged to Alatus, the Conqueror of Demons.

"Ah... Do you know why it was in your possession?"

With a shake of his head, Aether tucked his phone in his pocket to reach into his bag for the mask, taking it out with a gentle pull to present it to the two strangers. As they reached out, he quickly pulled it close to his chest, shaking his head frantically. "I would just like to inspect it, dear- what shall I call you? My name is Zhongli- Professor Zhongli" the teacher cleared his throat, a tense smile resting on his lips as he waited for Aether's response. Aether curled into himself further, under the scrutiny of both gazes, already feeling his palms getting slightly sweaty, the only thing grounding him being the mask, since Xiao himself was being aggressive.

Wiping one hand on his sweater, Aether reached for his phone again and aimed to type in his notes.

"Are you incapable of talking?" Xiao cut in quite harshly, invading his personal space and snatching his phone out of his hand.

"Xiao, wait-"

"No, we don't have time for this" he replied to Zhongli, before turning his attention back to Aether, staring him down "well? Speak." The Conqueror ordered, oblivious to how the smaller male tensed.

He tried, he really tried to reply as he opened his mouth, failing to utter a sound as Xiao maintained eye contact with him, the same golden irises glaring at him when he started to back away, his breath picking up slightly under the intimidating presence in front of him. He had to leave, they were going to hurt him. How stupid could one person be? Following a stranger who appeared out of nowhere. So, with his grip tightening around the mask, he did what he was always told to do when in a dangerous situation.

He ran.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy new year! I know I disapeared for quite a while, but I will try to post more often. Also, follow me on twitter and tiktok !

My @ is