Chapter 3: Kenny

The evil buzzing of the alarm clock was torture. I lifted my arm and let it fall on the clock, finally silencing the buzzing and beeping. "Rachael! Can you come here sweetie?" called my stepmother. "I'll be right down!" I called back. Quickly I pulled on a pair of black skinny jean, a black and red tank top, and my half length leather jacket. I went downstairs to the kitchen and asked, "what did you need Claire?" Claire put down her IPhone and looked at me with a smile. "I met a very nice woman yesterday. Her name is Elaine, Elaine Mason, and we really hit it off," she said. "Okay? How does that..." I stopped, I wasn't sure how to finish the sentence without sounding like a brat. She started again, "How does that involve you? Well we were showing each other family pictures, and she said you have been hanging around three boys," she smirked. Claire wasn't necessarily a BAD step mother, but we didn't really see eye to eye. "Yeah, I met them at school, and they're really cool (or at least two of them are). "But I only see them at school, how did she know?" I asked, confused by this Ms. or Mrs. Mason's knowledge of me. "Oh, she just knows," Claire smirked, sipping her coffee out of a flowery mug. "Don't act like a whore now," she laughed. I scoffed and went upstairs, and just to mess with her, while I put my makeup on I was blaring Whore by In This Moment.

Again Nikki sat in the seat in front of mine, making me laugh the whole way to school. Nikki was such a goof, and made me laugh more in one day than I have my whole life. Between his hilarious personality and Tyler's open and warm one they were perfect boys. Their friend... Not so much. Occasionally I would turn to look at him and Tyler, only to see Tyler smiling while talking to an utterly emotionless boy in a hood. Was his name Kendall? Or was that some girl? Did I even care if it was a girl? "Hey Nikki, is that-" the bus jerked to a stop, nearly slamming my head into Nikki's seat. "You alright Ray?" Nikki asked, getting to his feet. I replied, "Yeah, let's go." Again Tyler and his friend pulled Nikki off, but this time Nikki turned back to me. "I'll see you at lunch Ray?" he said, though it came out as a question. An invitation maybe? I looked to Tyler for some kind of emotion, just to be sure it was okay. Tyler was smiling his star dazzling smile, his eyes half closed. "Yeah, sounds great!" I said far more enthusiastically than I wanted too, I sounded almost desperate. "Great!" Nikki said before he and his friends started to walk off again. Kendall (I think) turned his head to me while he walked, his hair covering most of his face, but it couldn't hide that deep frown. I pretended not to notice him, and he eventually turned back.

Is it bad that during all my classes I could only think of lunch with the boys? My first day I told myself I would meet them, I did, now I'm having lunch with them two days later. That was quick. But I was also panicking, what if when they actually got to know me, they didn't like me? One of them was already giving me the cold shoulder... And icy stare... He was just all around cold. Sure, people have looked at me strangely because of how I dress, but his style wasn't much different from mine. I've seen him in dark jeans, spiked belts, and band tees with a usually black or gray hoodie, he could even wear eyeliner for all I knew. In three days I haven't gotten a full view of his face. During lunch he's hunched over with a book, on the bus his hood is up and he's turned away, and both times he's turned to look my way I could only see part of his face. Yet I only needed to see part of his face to know that he didn't like me very much. My train of thought was derailed by the bell for lunch, now I find out if I will keep my friends, for once.

I was holding my lunch tray so tightly my knuckles were turning white as I left the lunch line. Immediately Nikki stood up and waved me over. I silently panicked as I came closer, because the way they were sitting, I'd have to sit by that cold boy. "Long time no see, Ray," Tyler said. I laughed and responded, "I know, how long's it been? Three years? You've changed so much since then." Nikki looked confused. "You guys knew each other before?" he asked seriously. Tyler and I laughed at how clueless Nikki could be. "We were kidding Nikki, I haven't known her any longer than you," Tyler said as he tried to stop laughing. I could practically FEEL the human ice cube rolling his eyes. "But you guys seem pretty close, how long have you all been friends?" I asked. A look of deep thought crossed Tyler's face before he pointed his thumb at Nikki. "We've been friends since the seventh grade, and..." he said as he though even harder. "I think we met in kindergarten or first grade," he said, pointing to the cold boy, who was still bent over with his book, completely unresponsive. Nikki put down the can he had previously been chugging and pointed to the boy, "I knew him before then, our moms were roommates in college. He's like my brother," Nikki gushed. Still no response from the cold hearted figure next to me, now I could even FEEL how cold he was, I shivered.