Chapter 1 : Who are they?

Devipur
Bondita, a young girl of 13, who had just stepped into her teens, was walking along the river. A girl like this, with a face of innocence and purity, was very happy, you would think, but she wasn't. She had just lost her father to something she could never forget, and therefore lost her mother as well, to one of the most prevalent social customs of her time : Sati.
She tried her best to stay happy, or at least, look happy, and managed to do so quite well, but behind the falsely happy mask of hers, was a soul, pained beyond words. She was slowly getting over her sorrow though, but was still not to jolly, or should I say, was not allowed to stay jolly.
Her aunt(Maami), who was supposedly her mother away from her mother, was not too happy that there was another addition to their family, because Bondita had come to live with them after she lost her parents. She had a young daughter too, so you would think she would understand the pain of losing not just one, but both parents, and would take Bondita in as one of her own. But well, Maami was already worried about her own family's well being, when extra burden was suddenly dropped on her.
Well, as a result, Bondita became the person at a status a bit above a servant, but never really family. Maami would make her slave all day, just to provide her with the bare minimum, 3 meals a day, consisting of leftovers, and a mat to sleep on, out in the backyard. In return, Bondita had to do the bare minimum, just every chore of the house, along with getting beaten up once in a while. Maami's daughter, Sampoorna, though, loved Bondita dearly, maybe even more than herself. She would sneak in good food for her, and sometimes even help Bondita with her chores when her mother wasn't looking, as well as try distracting her mother when she started to hit Bondita.

Let's get back to Bondita now, though. As I said, she was walking along the river, humming a tune that she had made up, probably while she was busy doing one of her chores, or serving one of her punishments.

Bondita : Hmph, I'm finally done with getting the last pot of water. I am going to go and take rest now, Maami can't scold me today either. Sampoorna Didi's husband-to-be will be visiting with his family, so Maami will be very nice in front of them... Hmm... I wonder how Jamai Babu looks. Is he tall, short, stout, or thin? Does he have a moustache, or is he bald... Offo Bondita, kya bol rahi hai...  Maami doesn't want a bald husband for Sampoorna Didi... now if Jamai Babu turns out to be bald, she will blame me.

(Lost in the thoughts of her Jamai Babu, she reaches the yard of her home, where a lot of decorations are taking place... Their family wasn't too rich, so they were doing as much as they could to make the guests feel welcome.)

Bondita : Arey Vah! If Maami is decorating the house so well for the first meeting itself, imagine how beautiful it's going to look on the Wedding Day! Khub bhalo!

Maami : Oh Kaali Maa! Do you consider yourself a queen? Why are you walking like time has forever stopped? Don't you know, the guests are coming in about an hour. And yet you continue to be so lazy... God knows what sin I had committed in my past life, to have received a burden like you. Sumati Didi (Bondita's mother) also had to give birth to a daughter like you.

Bondita's Uncle (Mama) : Uff Devoleena (Maami's name)! Let it be, you can shout at her later, she's here now, but the guests aren't yet, hence, no delay has been caused. In fact, considering they aren't here yet, they should be coming soon... So don't you think you should get done with the finishing touches now?

Maami : Oh Kaali Maa! I completely forgot... See, this is the problem with you... Humesha baato mein uljha deti hai. Now you and Sampoorna come and help me out.

Sampoorna : (chuckling) Ji Maa!

Bondita : Ji Maami!

(They go into the house, and finish the rest of the cooking)

Tulsipur
Anirudh, a barrister who has just returned from London, walks down the grand stairs of the Roy Chowdhury Haveli. He is wearing his first set of Kurta and Dhoti in a while, all he wore was trousers and shirts for the past 8 years that he was in London. He had a striking, but pleasant look on his face, as though he could be the most serious, and yet, the nicest and most understanding person to have walked the planet. He had come back to his motherland for one purpose : bringing all forms of justice to women, and eradicating all other social ills on the way.
Downstairs, in the Grand Hall, or Baithak, as they used to call it then, was Anirudh's beloved Trilochan Kaka, doing what he loved most, reading holy scriptures, and ordering around the houshold help, Bihari and Koyeli.

Kaka : Are oh Bihari! Do one thing right for once! Since when do you use Coconut oil to massage my feet! Get the Mustard oil right now! And Koyeli, if you make the sweets at this speed, we will have to have today's puja day after tomorrow. Hurry those hands up!
Bihari and Koyeli : Ji Malik!

Let's get back to the rest of the people in the Baithak. There was Anirudh's father, Mr. Binoy Roy Chowdhury, looking grimly through the documents of his newly opened business.

Binoy : Hmmm... I thought opening up this factory would prove profittable to me, but it's just the opposite, in fact I am losing all my resources from the rest of my factories, just to make this better. Yet, I have only incurred loss over the first month. I'll have to find some good business partners if I want to save this business...
(Two kids run in)
BATUK! SOMNATH! STOP RIGHT THERE!!! KYA KAR RAHE HO, DHAMAAL MACHAKE RAKHA HAI GHAR MEIN!!!

These two were Anirudh's younger brothers, Somnath and Batuk. Somnath was older, and you would think he was more mature,  but you would be wrong. He was just as mischievous as Batuk, if not, more mischievous. Presently, they were running around the house, let's find out why

Somnath : Sorry Baba, woh hum experiment kar rahe the...

Binoy : And exactly what experiment requires you to run around the house like madmen?

Batuk : Voh Baba... ummm... hmmm... haann... We were trying to see if age affects your speed.

Binoy : Oh okay... WHAT? If age affects speed? What strange experiment is this?
(Looks up, but they're already gone)
What now? They disappeared so quick... Well, I guess age really does affect speed.

Now that we've met everyone else, let's get back to Anirudh. Why he was wearing a Kurta and Dhoti after so long, you ask? Well, he was going to meet the family of his best friend Saurav's wife-to-be.

Anirudh : Arey Kaka! Saurav kaha hai? He is the groom-to-be... Or should we go for the meet without him only?
(Shouting) KYU SAURAV??

Saurav : (Running in with some papers) Yes chhote malik... umm... I mean... Anirudh Babu... Here are your transfer papers from London to Tulsipur...

Anirudh : Oh, thanks for these... Now let's go to meet your in-laws? Utsuk ho na Saurav?

Saurav : I am so excited! (Realising what he said)... Matlab... I mean... uhh...

Anirudh : Koi nahi mere bhai bhopu... I am your best friend after all... You can share everything with me... So, be honest, how excited are you?

Saurav : I am actually really excited, Anirudh Babu

Kaka : Ab jaoge bhi? Or do I need to send special invitations to the both of you to go quick... Saurav, I even gave a holiday to your father today so that he can get the meeting done in peace, now don't you think you should hurry up?

Saurav : Ji Bade Malik...

Anirudh : Hum chalte hai Kaka... Let's go Saurav

(They get into the car, and slowly drive away with Munshi, Saurav's father)

(So, what will happen in the next part? How exactly will Bondita meet Anirudh? And how will their very own first meeting turn out?
Keep reading to find out!)