Your Soul Leads the Way

She said it a little too loud because Cao Weining looked at him in surprise, and Zishu gave up the idea of sending Weining's former sect leader away. Instead, he gave Weining a questioning glance.

"Maybe he's just here to give me congratulations?" Weining said, a lilt to his voice. There was a hidden wish there in his words. 

Zishu couldn't bear to shatter the hopeful expression on his face, and Gu Xiang was standing at his shoulder mirroring it.

He would just have to watch carefully. Kexing shifted closer to him and his fingers hooked in Zishu's once more hidden in the safety of their sleeves. Their shoulders brushed and Zishu took comfort in this as he nodded permission to the servant.

The sect leader was led through the side gate and with him was an impressive procession of box's, all tied with red bows. Zishu eyes the disciples carrying them, but he didn't say anything when Huai Yang side-eyed him with disgust. He knew very well what the sect leader thought of him, but he couldn't care less. Zishu knew exactly what kind of man Mo Huai Yang was and it was far more despicable than anything he had ever done. Which was why he kept a close eye on the faux easygoing charade while the male greeted Weining.

Mo Huai Yang approached the newly married couple with a welcoming smile, his eyes squinting in the autumn sun. He brought his hands up to Cao Weining's face and embraced his cheeks with affection. "Congratulations on your marriage!"

Zhou Zishu stood poised to the side, his eyes never leaving Huai Yang's features. He noticed the way his fingers tightened a little too much on Weining's face and how he glanced at Gu Xiang grinning behind Weining.

"This must be the bride!" Huai Yang still hadn't let go and he obviously threw caution to the wind when his features darkened. "Such a shame you left the fold for this place, Cao Weining. You would have made a good disciple."

Zishu was watching so carefully, he noticed the every minute detail and so he saw Haui Yang's fingers begin to press on the tender skin of Weining's neck.

It was as Zhou Zishu had expected, but he really wish it hadn't been.

Just as the sect leader moved his hands, Zhou Zishu grabbed the back of his robe and pulled. The move physically cost him, but he succeeded in throwing Huai Yang back several chi. His ribs ached and he felt like the breath was knocked out of him, but he didn't care. Zishu had seen Huai begin to move, his hands braced on one of the most vulnerable places on Weining's body, and he couldn't bear to think what would have happened next.

Mo Huai Yang shouted from where he was scrambling on the dirt and all hell broke loose. The newly-wed couple backed away as Wen Kexing yelled and rushed to Zhou Zishu's side. The sound of steel rang in the courtyard as the disciples drew swords from the wedding boxes, and the women from the brothel drew weapons from their clothes.

What should have been the happiest occasion ended in senseless fighting.

For the second time, the brothel descended into chaos. Cries filled the formerly happy air and blood flowed. At the edges of the wall, figures dressed in black suddenly appeared and the Scorpions joined the melee.

Wen Kexing was suddenly glad he had taken the precaution of stationing them in the woods. But even with them, the ensuing fight was brutal and bloody. Cao Weining had grabbed a sword and was defending Gu Xiang with all that he had. The two women lovers remained close to them, creating a circle of determined bloodshed that kept the couple safe. Chengling had climbed into a tree and was hiding in the branches per Zishu's earlier instructions.

For a moment, it appeared as though Weining would dive headfirst into the battle, toward where Zishu was fighting, but Kexing yelled above the chaos.