Chapter Two: Changes

Dragging herself out of bed a week after Chris had entered office, Grace groaned at the pain in her head.

She had a restless night and had been out of bed for most of it, not wanting to disturb Chris who had another long day ahead of him.

Pulling her robe over her shoulders, she headed out of the bedroom, downstairs to where Chris was sitting at the table, already dressed.

"Morning," Chris smiled, looking up and immediately frowning at how tired and worn out she looked, "what happened?"

He was on his feet in seconds, pulling her into his arms and rubbing her back as she leant against him, thankful of him supporting her weight.

"Nothing, baby, I just didn't sleep last night," she whispered tiredly, closing her eyes again, trying to block out the light that was only making her headache worse.

Chris rubbed her back in slow circles, one hand coming to her head that she was pressing into his chest.

"Something on your mind?" He asked, slightly worried that the weight of the world she was now thrown into was finally starting to hit her.

"No, I don't know, it was just one of those nights," she shrugged, turning to kiss him before sitting in the seat beside the one he was occupying.

Chris nodded, sitting back down, his hand on her thigh while she poured herself some tea and hummed in content at the comfort from the warm beverage.

"Im going to be busy for awhile," Chris mumbled, folding the newspaper and setting it down beside his coffee cup, "just until we get settled in,"

He turned sideways in his chair to look at his girlfriend. He hated that as they started their journey of their relationship, he was starting his journey of being the Vice President.

Chris had so much to do in the weeks to come, he didn't want to leave Grace home alone and already had visits planned that she could join him on.

His job was mostly him being cooped up in his office or the Oval Office with Frank. Both of them signing their lives away and trying to make America a better place to live.

"I know, I understand," she reassured, turning in her seat. Her hands came to his face, cupping his cheeks before she pressed a kiss to his lips, "I love you,"

Chris smiled, he would never get sick of those words. He was sure of it. He told her nearly every time he saw her and he wasn't about to stop.

"I love you too, baby," Chris whispered, kissing her again. The beep of the car sent for him broke them apart and as usual, Grace went to the door to wave him off.

***

Grace's headache had subsided by the time she came around to adding touches of her and Chris to the house.

They could be here for four years, or eight, depending on what happens throughout their time there and Grace at least wanted it to be a place for Chris to feel comfortable after everything that happened during his days.

"Ms. Hughes, there's a call for you," one of the staffers said, breaking her from her thoughts as she looked at the living room sofas for the nineteenth time.

Grace looked and nodded, glaring at the couch cushions before turning on her heel and heading to the phone in the hallway.

"Hello?" Grace said, sitting down on the couch, sinking into the cushions when she realised how tired she was.

"Hi sweetie, it's mom," her mother chimed from the other end of the line. Grace couldn't help her smile.

She missed her parents and hadn't really gone home since Christmas 2015. It was over a year since she had seen her parents in person.