A Sleepless Night

Some stories are best if left unfinished
Some melodies are best left incompleted
And some loves unrequited....

The clouds had began accumulating on the clear sky over the city of Indraprasth,soon the wind's pace accelerated indicating rain would join them in a matter of time.

The highest member of the state would establish himself as the supreme emperor of Aryavarta by performing the holy Rajsuya Yagya the day after. Guests were invited over the vast expanse of the great land to witness and hence provide their acknowledgement and alliance to the ritual .

The guest quarters of the palace designed and decorated by none other than Mayasura buzzed with unusual activity and chaos at the appearance of so many revered people altogether. Now as the chaos ceased to exist at the gradual approach of the night someone more or less significant was finding it exceptionally difficult to seek the blessings of Godess Nidra on that very night.

Twelve months were not a miniscule time . Six seasons come and pass by within this span . The Earth gracefully completes its another trip round the Sun . So many are born and so many depart to the next life. Alliances change , new relations are added , old ones are mended or broken forever . Indeed twelve months were not that unimportant as they appeared. But twelve years ? If something remained unchanged in such long time it was surely capable of earning attention.

Karna had been twisting and turning in his majestic bed and gradually losing his patience and peace by the disappearance of his sweet rest . He was not someone who had just fallen in love and lost sleep, infact he was bound to be tired from the travel from Hastinapur to its twin capital (as it was for the last day), Indraprasth. Perhaps his constitution had grown more resistant to the soreness of trips due to his frequent visits to Hastinapur all the way from Anga.

Or was he lying to himself ....?

No it can't be. Why should someone lie to oneself ? But sometimes we do forget that circumstances can make us a puppet and make one dance at its fingertips. So was the condition of Suryaputra now.

He could not confess to himself that he still felt something for a lady who was married off to the five greatest warriors of the land, the Queen with five Kings , Yagyaseni Draupadi. It had been twelve years since that fateful day of Swayamvar still its memory had been freshly emblemed upon his mind. He did not know what chose to remember it ? His wounded pride or his broken heart ?

When he had glanced upon the dark skinned lady for the first time , he had taken a peek at the far future too where they were together entangled by holy matrimony . Perhaps his dream was too far fetched but so is the human mind . When it decides to dream it just forgets its limits and possibilities.

It was true he had been rejected and insulted but the love that had been concieved at heart had already gone beyond his carnal encasement and was bound to live , either as a heartache or as a venomous bitterness , but it won't or die or its better to say he won't let it die.

The intricate detailings of the great palace were indeed magical but a glance at its Queen which was quite accidental and unintended had created a thousand times more delicate and intricate web of illusions in the mind of Angraj.

In the society not only life was partial and discriminated , death too was not unbiased. When a Brahman died he was said to leave his mortal body, when a Kshatriya embraced death on the battlefield he was said to attain matyrdom but the final moment of the other castes was termed as freedom from their lowly life.

He had of course forgotten his status and rank when he wished for her to be his better half. But was it not true that love is destinied to strike someone like thunder and undeniablyly unexpected ? Perhaps he had been a victim to the whims of fate . But he could assure that the spark that was created on that day had still not died .

It was true he had fallen for her but it must be known that a part of him hated her too. When divinely chalked out destiny had played upon her rendering a polyandrous relationship she could have refused , but she did n't . She chose to suffer. She could have come to him . He would go to world's last edge to shield her from any such calamity bestowed on her and in turn she would provide him with the solace he seeked from her. He believed that she was not a prized commodity to be divided among all to prevent sibling rivalry. She was an embodiment of divinity who was to be worshipped and loved with utmost devotion . He pretended to not know why she didn't, but he knew .

His own mind had answered him ,' The lady who is wrought by Agnidev himself is solely capable of doing such a sacrifice .'

But perhaps it was not true. Karma does n't forget anyone. Agni which takes in sacrifices from all mortal beings had its Karmaphaala when His daughter carved out from His own flames had to give the largest sacrifice of the era.

He should have gotten rid of all his tenderness when she was endowed as the wife of his foremost enemies but he could not. This was unethical in the least and sinful at most .

His loyalty was sworn to the wrong side, his end was decided by a curse but his heart , it was captured by someone who could never be his.

Now the midnight hour had almost passed by and it would be definitely ungraceful if he dozed off during the Rajsuya Yagya . So he decided to let go of his jumbled up thoughts and curl up in the mattress for sleep to engulf him.

He closed his eyes making a teardrop creep out from his eyelashes and at the same time the rain started to pour.

____________________________________

THE END

A huge thanks to my favourite person thefireherself if she had not urged me this would have never been published....❤
____________________________________

If you can understand Bengali I think this one would be relatable too !!!❤