CASE 36 - Scapegoats Part II

Hongbin stood there in front of his doorsteps, heart racing nervously unlike the usual him. He's finally back home after a long time. He's been meaning to visit his parents but this visit didn't have the purest of intentions.

He took a deep breath and reached for the doorbell.

And in no time at all, he could hear his mother running down to open the door for her beloved son.

"Bin-ah, you're back," she hugged him tightly with tears of joy. She must've been so relieved to see her son come home after such a long time.

It's always been like this every time Hongbin comes home. He should've gotten used to it by now and so should his parents. But Hongbin's job isn't exactly a safe one and they're constantly worried about their son getting into danger. So, every time he comes home, Hongbin's mother can't help but shed tears of relief.

His parents were very against it at first when Hongbin told the two that he would be joining the police force. Hongbin isn't only their precious son, but the youngest in the family as well. He was their pride and joy but as much as they wanted to protect him, they also didn't want to control him. So, they could only support him from afar and pray for his safety every day.

Seeing his mother like that, Hongbin couldn't help but feel ashamed inside. He wants to make them proud but it was hard to do so.

"Why didn't you call us to say you were coming?" she asked.

"I thought I'd give you a surprise," Hongbin hugged his mother back.

"Well, you definitely gave me one."

She wiped her tears and smiled happily.

Hongbin has been so busy that he hasn't gone home in a long time and the last time he saw them was during Jaeho's funeral.

Hongbin eventually followed his mother into the kitchen to help out. Since her son's visit was on such short notice, she couldn't prepare a grand meal for him.

"Your dad is on his way back," she told Hongbin. "He was so happy to hear that you were coming back home for dinner. How's work?"

"Busy as usual," Hongbin gave out a feeble smile as he gave her a hand.

"You poor child, you must've been so preoccupied with work," her heart sank looking at her son looking so much thinner than the last time she saw him. "Have you been eating well?"

"A little."

"You have to eat properly even if you're busy," she reminded him. "Both you and Wonshik are so bad at cooking. And that boy is even busier than you. I thought if you got a roommate, you can at least have someone by your side to look out for you."

She sighed.

"I know, mom. Don't worry, my cooking has improved. We don't do take-outs much anymore. Wonshik sometimes helps out in the kitchen too."

"I can't imagine," she chuckled a little knowing both of them too well by now. "You're still investigating Jaeho's case, aren't you?"

"Yeah..."

"That poor boy. He really didn't deserve it. Why would anyone kill him?"

Hongbin couldn't agree more.

It really made no sense.

Even now, whenever he sees Jaeho's name come up on the news sites, he finds it so surreal that his friend is already long gone. Sooner or later, his name will also be forgotten. Like how Jaeho's parents have probably forgotten him already.