CASE 54 Finale - Walking

The press was restless...

"The White Rose Killer has finally been arrested!"

"The true identity of the infamous serial killer revealed and captured!?"

"Police warrants a nationwide search for the White Rose Killer."

"Reports stated that the killer was last seen at the coast of Busan."

"The police struggled with the killer and misfired. The White Rose Killer falls into the sea."

"Is the White Rose truly dead?"

"The entire nation anxiously awaits for the official police statement."

"The White Rose Killer's era has finally come to an end after years of chasing."

Ring. Ring.

"Hello, Lieutenant Seo speaking," the man picks up the phone with a slight grunt in his voice. "Don't worry. The press conference will be held in a week. Just give me some time. I'll call you back later."

The obviously dishevelled man hangs up the call and sighs. He looks at the letter on his desk, which has been there for a week already with a police badge sitting next to the envelope. On the front of the envelope was the word "resignation".

He sighs once more before tucking the letter in his files and goes back to proceeding with work.

One news after another, words travelled and the case of the White Rose Killer was finally coming to an end.

Knock. Knock.

"Come in."

A basket full of fruits first peeked through the door.

"Wonshikkie~ I've come to visit," it was Hongbin who stuck his head in next before entering the room. "How are you feeling?"

"Not bad. But being here for another week might really kill me," Wonshik said in exaggeration. "I can't stand this place."

"That's what you get for being shot," Hongbin said as he placed the basket next to the bed and pulled out a chair to sit next to his partner. "Who told you to get shot and get hospitalized?"

"Very funny," Wonshik said as he looked at his left leg still in a cast and still in slight pain.

"Well, at least the nurses here are pretty. So that's a plus, right?"

"Shut up," Wonshik shook his head at Hongbin's joke.

Hongbin chuckled a little and grabbed an apple from the basket and started to peel it.

There was a slight silence in the air, only the sounds of people in the hallway echoed through the walls and the sound of an ambulance driving into the hospital could be heard from outside.

"So..." both of them said at the same time.

Wonshik sighed in defeat.

"I heard from the Lieutenant that you handed in your resignation," Wonshik looked at Hongbin who was clearly averting his gaze and trying to distract himself by peeling the apple. "You didn't have to go that far, you know?"

"I know. But it just didn't feel right," Hongbin placed down the apple on the plate and hesitated for a moment before he spoke again. "Everyone says that it was a misfire. A crossfire with the White Rose Killer. Or that it was simply necessary. But you and I both know that wasn't an accident. It was all planned out by you. Damn crazy rabid dog."