It's Very Beautiful Over There

~~~

~~~

"Verbally threatening suicide, recent loss of a loved one to death, expressions of hopelessness and anger, sudden decline in academic performance, increased use of mind-altering substances, loss of interest in sex..."

"Alaska displayed two of those warning signs." Colonel said, interrupting Miles. "She had lost, though not recently, her mom. She was definitely drinking a lot more at the end."

Miles blew out some smoke. "She did talk about dying."

I held back a small sigh as I blew some bubbles. "She smoked to die, said that all the time."

"Yeah, to be pretentious, not because she meant it." Takumi frowned at me.

I narrowed my eyes at him in return and scoffed through my nose, shaking my head. "That's exactly my point."

"Her grades didn't drop, and she sure as hell didn't lose interest in sex." Colonel scoffed.

I chuckled blandly. "With a guy like Jake, could you blame her?" I glanced at the boys and bit my bottom lip in embarrassment when I looked at Miles and saw a look of utter disdain on his face. "Uh- sorry Miles."

"Nah," Colonel sighed. "I mean, you had to like sex an awful lot to make out with Pudge's scrawny ass."

Miles turned his head to the side, glaring at the distance. "Funny." He grumbled, unamused. I placed my hand on his upper arm, giving it a gentle squeeze, offering him a small smile when he looked at me. With a heavy, frustrated sigh, Miles moved and rested his head on my shoulder, burying his face in the fabric of my sweater.

I glanced to the side and pursed my lips when I noticed the two boys beside us sharing a look with each other- I turned my head and tried to ignore it, focusing my attention to the clingy Miles on me.

He needed someone. I was willing to be that someone.

~~~

"Okay, I have a theory." Colonel said at lunch the next day, the food in my mouth tasting rather bland than normal- which honestly wasn't saying much. "It's not terribly likely, but it is plausible. So that night, the phone rings. It's Jake, calling to wish her a happy anniversary. What a nice guy. So she feels awful for hooking up with Pudge," Miles' jaw clenched, "and wants to go see him. So now she's furious, and drunk and just mad at herself. She's driving along, and she sees a cop car. And in a flash, everything comes together, and she... does it." I couldn't help but flinch at the thought, Takumi placing a comforting hand on my back. "Not because she was drunk, but because she killed herself."

Miles shook his head feverently. "That's ridiculous. We've already been over this!" his tone significantly sharpened. "She wasn't thinking about Jake-"