Seven - Eli Principle.

Seven — Eli Principle.

I froze, and the tiger moved closer to me, like I could protect her. 

Slowly, turning around I saw two figures in the doorway. One was Eli, while the other was one I could not make out as familiar. They seemed to be watching me, with cold gazes and almost unbelief. Maybe the tiger was putting them out. She was just a big kitten, I had decided, because she was truly a sweetheart with a cute little face.

Well, she was not very little.
“Mister Principle?” I said. “What does it look like I am doing?”

The two figures entered the room and I noticed with some shook the other was a girl—but this girl was not wearing a dress, or even a nightgown. She was wearing men trousers and a men shirt. Her hair was in a low braid, and she looked perfectly calm and was also wearing riding boots. The tiger was nothing compared to this! 

I almost died.

The girl grinned at me, like she knew exactly what I was thinking. She was truly beautiful. “Name is Malissa Conway. You must be Alys Marquis?”

“Why are you wearing trousers?” I squeaked, before my eyes went larger. “Are you utterly insane? Are you ill? You must be sick.”

Malissa just laughed. “No. My work just does not require a dress.”
“What are you? An assassin?” I asked in disbelief. 

“Yes.” She said simply. “I am an assassin.”
I would of thought she was joking, if not for the very serious glint in her dark eyes. Then, I noticed, that while she looked mature and more serious, she had the face of a fifteen year old. She had not yet grown into her sharp features, and was still a little blurred around the edges. Her eyes were the most vibrant gold, while her hair was dark bronze and strands of it glimmered gold in the lighting. 

The tiger whined, causing me to instinctively place my hand protectively and comfortingly on her head.

My life had become too much.

“Why are you playing with a tiger?” Eli asked me. “And why is she not attacking you? She attacked me and I am a Growth.” He sounded sort of offended.

Malissa made an annoyed sound. “Is it not obvious?”
“Obviously not.” Eli said, his tone cold. “Lissa, how about you show Miss Marquis to her rooms?” It did not sound like a question.

I looked down to the tiger. “Come, Aspasie, you need to sleep.”

The tiger—now named Aspasie—purred and pressed closer to my side. Eli, however, looked like he was in serious pain. While, Malissa looked amused and well. Then, her jaw slacked and her eyes widened—which must of been a strange expression on her face, because it look as if it should not really be there.

“She claimed you! Oh my goodness! How does that happen! You are not a Sorcerer!”

I blinked. “Are you vomiting your words?”
“No!” Malissa snapped and turned to Eli, who was looking curious. “Eli, can you not sense the animals connection to her?”

“Miss Marquis, you know this is a magical animal, do you not?” He asked me.

“I am not even surprised.” I stated dryly.

Amusement flickered over his face, but it was gone quickly. “The tiger it seems has claimed you. This usually happens between a sorcerer and something. It can happen between two persons, an animal and person, or it can happen between one and an object.”

I looked down to Aspasie, to who was looking tired, but looking up at me with large eyes of life. They were a pale green, with slips of gold around the edges. She was a pretty thing, and I admired the way her orange glimmered in the candle light. I moved my eyes back to where Malissa and Eli, one looking disbelieved, while the other looked cool and calm.
“Maybe it is because she is a Human in a house of sorcery.” Malissa said, still sounding off. “I cannot believe you have not even been in this world for a day and you found your mykelti.