Chapter 28: Companies

The rescue mission was made public news throughout Norlyn. The people were also told that testing was in place for a spell that would change the dynamic of the drought. While some were still skeptical and riots continued, the numbers were dwindling and people started to settle over the weeks.

The second semester focused heavily on combat and the use of props and weaponry. Stella and Ayla practiced together in the training rooms after classes in efforts to have Ayla catch up—not that she was very motivated to. Starting the semester so late, she was unable to get a student to tutor, but meeting with the commander and Captain Xiaan filled the rest of her schedule, and her need for income.

She never thought she would get paid. It made her uneasy, suspicious even, but not enough to call it all off. She needed the money. She had expected the House of Cormill to put up more of a fight. That she would have to show more of her hand before they trusted her. That the guards would've left permanent damages, maybe to her face. Or broken something external, like an arm, or a neck. Maybe she was too smart to be killed. She had been bluffing at the time but it seemed speaking into existence actually worked.

Regardless of what it was, she was too far deep to back out and what else could she do? Refuse to be paid and go back to prison? Leave her sister's fate to the unreliable and untrustworthy? So she took the money and did what the commander asked. Besides, it was fun. It was everything she dreamed of and more. She wasn't on the battlefield with everyone else, but the events leading up to it had her blood pumping.

She had survived prison and it made her feel capable. People were paying attention to her. She wasn't hated, she was respected. Maybe she needed something to be happy about, because if her mind drifted far enough into the future, she would start to panic. But maybe she was enjoying it a little too much because she wasn't skeptical enough to look more carefully.

"Pay attention!" Stella pulled her spear back seconds early of the attack Ayla was supposed to dodge.

"You're too rough," Ayla mumbled. She fell back and lay on the floor and Stella stood over her.

Stella jammed the spear into the ground. "Will you take this seriously? I could kill you if I wanted. You'd be dead if we were on the battlefield. I thought you promised me you wouldn't die so quickly."

Ayla peered up at the sky. It was dark. How many stars were there? Millions? Billions? If not Orhem, then where? If not the military, then what? If not Zayd, then who?

She was surprised with how well she was taking it all. Her old self would've made a scene in the cafeteria. She would've found some way to hurt them. She had imagined the moment he finally had to leave her would be more explosive. She never expected she would feel this dead inside. She never expected the day to actually arrive. She had hoped it wouldn't. She had hoped he would somehow find a way to avoid this outcome.

From the sky's unbiased perspective, she wondered if she was to sit above Norlyn like the stars, what would she think of them? If Ayla cared enough, wouldn't she aim for the royal guards? For her family? If Ayla looked down at Ayla from the skies, would she make all the same decisions? If she were to leave her heart behind and think practically, she would probably say to Ayla, "Leave Lady Sonali to her fiancé." Then she would tell Ayla, "It's okay to change your mind; become a royal guard." Actually, if it really was Ayla up there, she wouldn't say it nicely, she would probably shout it.

"Get up." Stella demanded, a monotone of disappointment. "I'm serious, I really will kill you."

Ayla looked at Stella. She had gotten so strong while Ayla was away. Ayla wondered if Stella had surpassed her. Stella had secrets of her own, but then again, Ayla wasn't skeptical enough to look more carefully.