Chapter Five - Doctor's And Elevators Make Me Nervous

Dr.A/N: oh damn shits goin down

~~~~~

I woke up the next morning, curled in a ball, on the cold hard tile of my bathroom floor, to my cat licking me on my face. I glance around the bathroom, disoriented and confused, while the memories of last night came flooding in. I was pregnant. Holy shit.

I quickly stood up, and turned on the shower. I stripped down, hoping the warm water from the shower would wash away... Well, everything.

After getting out, I tied my hair up and put on a pair of jeans. I called Tara, and asked her to come over. I didn't tell her why, yet, but I figured I would soon.

About a half hour after I called her, she was knocking on my door. I let her in, and told her to come sit with me on the couch. She did, and I beat around the bush, trying to think of how to tell her.

"Just spit it out, Paige!" She urged me.

I took a deep breath, and said the words I never thought I would say again. "I'm pregnant."

I though she would be shocked or disgusted, or both, but she just took my hand calmly and asked, "Have you seen a doctor yet?" 

I was grateful she wasn't angry.

"No,not yet," I told her.

"Okay, well, call and make yourself an appointment, and I will go with you whenever and wherever it is." She told me.

I nodded, and pulled out my phone reluctantly. Doctors, like elevators, make me nervous.

I looked through my contacts for Dr. Jovanni. Once I found her contact, I put the phone to my ear.

It rang twice, then a perky voice answered. "Dr. Elise Jovanni's office, how can I help you?"

I took a deep breath and looked to Tara, who nodded encouragingly.

"Hi, this is Paige Freedman. I was wondering if I could schedule am appointment to meet with Dr. Jovanni as soon as possible?"

"Of course! The earliest that I have is tomorrow, December thirtieth, at two p.m. Is that alright?" The girl on the other end asked.

"Yes, that's fine, thank you," I breathed before hanging up.

I looked to Tara, who said she would pick me up here at one thirty tomorrow. She pecked me on the cheek, and told me she had work, and left.

I looked down at my watch, which told me it was ten in the morning. I sighed and realized I had work in an hour, and quickly put on my pink scrubs, and my shoes, and went out the door to my car.

~~~~ 

After my shift was over, after seeing hundreds of pregnant ladies in the maternity ward, I was frazzled, exhausted, and nervous.

I went to Mary's office, where she normally is at this time, to see if I could get my shift moved for tomorrow.

I knocked tentatively on the door, and went in. Mary was sitting at her desk, reading something over, pen in hand, glasses on.

"Uh, hi," I said, sitting down awkwardly.

"Hello, Paige. What can I do for you?" She asked, not looking up from the paper.

"Can I have my shift moved for tomorrow? Maybe four to four instead of eleven to eleven?" I asked.

She pulled another paper out of one of her desk drawers, and read that over, too. I assumed it was a schedule. "I'm sorry Paige, but we need you on the eleven to eleven. We only have three other nurses signed up for that shift," she shook her head sadly and gave me a look to say sorry.