Part 7

Azriel had once joked that you were like an actual flower, needing water and sunlight to use your powers. At the time you had laughed but now as you stood in front of the mirror, wiping the tears from under your eyes, and preparing to walk into the world of all things dead, you understood. The dress you wore was one of the few fancy ones you reserved for the dinners you were often dragged to before your fall. It was lavender, with tulle cascading down your legs from the waist, paired with a tight corset top and tulle off-the-shoulder sleeves. As you sat with a 'humph' and started applying your makeup, your stepbrother walked in.

"Well you look cheery," Nico said, sitting on your bed.

"I look like an evil power puff girl,"

"You look like you are a princess, which you are so my dad is going to be pleased."

"I really don't care what he thinks," you snapped, and Nico help up his hands. He was wearing all black as usual, simple dress pants and a loose black shirt tucked in, his belt matched his rings, and his dark hair and even darker eye bags made him look every bit the Underworld prince. "Sorry, I'm not mad at you," you said turning back around to carry on with your makeup.

"I know, it's stressful for you," he moved to sit next to you, resting his head on your shoulder and you applied eyeliner.

"I don't wanna get sick again, I have things to do. Plus I've got to convince your dad to let me ask for this favour. I just feel like it's all going to go to shit."

"I get it, you'll be fine though. Also I'm pretty sure your mum is going to do anything for you if it means you'll speak to her again, so she'll be on your side at least. That's three vs one." He nudged you as you put down the eyeliner.

"That's true." You bit the inside of your lip and Nico, sensing your worry, changed topic.

"Tell me about Azriel," He said, and you caught his eye in the mirror.

"Huh?"

"Well I gotta make sure that when you become his problem it will be permanent, I don't want you coming back," he joked.

"Fuck you," you laughed shoving his shoulder and he giggled, rolling onto his back.

"I don't want to do thisssss," Nico said in a sing-song voice lying flat on the floor.

"Me neither but I'm not going in alone bitch," you laughed, starting to feel slightly better. It was moments like this that made you regret pushing your friends away, the thought of seeing them was always scary but when you were with your brother again you remembered why you loved them so much. You assessed your outfit in the mirror and sighed.

"What?" Nico asked, sitting back up.

"This would look really nice with a dark red lip," you said, biting your lip.

"Do you have one?" he asked, and you nodded. He was quiet for a second before reaching out and ruffling through your makeup, finding your favourite red lipstick. "Do you wanna try?"

"Yeah, but if I cry it'll mess up my eyeliner." You said with a shaky laugh. He laughed quietly handing you the lipstick and you looked at him in the mirror, taking in a shuddering breath. You were stronger than this and you could handle it. You closed your eyes for a minute, counting your breaths, before opening the lipstick.

Once it was applied you lifted your chin, staring down the girl in the mirror. Nico grabbed your hand softly and you tore your eyes away, standing and pulling on your shoes.

"Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

--

Azriel was in a shit mood. He was 90% sure that you had cast some sort of spell on him when he was with you, something that made him happy and relaxed, because now that you weren't here he pretty much wanted to throttle everyone.