PROLOGE

The rain seemed to pour, almost as if to remind Alexi just how horrible her day was going

The rain seemed to pour, almost as if to remind Alexi just how horrible her day was going. Even so, it was so peaceful that she couldn't help but marvel in its presence.

She was walking to her car that was parked atleast seven blocks away from where she worked. Usually she would have missed the part of the day where it rains the most. This was the reason that she wasn't holding an umbrella. Her unnaturally white hair seemed to bounce in it's low ponytail that she always wore.

'I really shouldn't be this gloomy.' She thought to herself, keeping her eyes glued to the soaked pavement. 'Its not like you were fired, it's just that you had too much vacation time, so now you get a break. Yep, that's it.' She encouraged herself. She often did this in an attempt to keep her seeming childish fear of being useless at bay.

Even though she wouldn't know what to do without her work, it did seem like a good opportunity to escape the constant teasing at her work. I mean, its not her fault that she was born with weird hair that never seemed to stay dyed a natural color, right? It wasn't her fault she was named after a male Russian for no reason at all. Well, I guess there is a reason. Alexei Nickolaevich was known as the last Tsesarevich, and was born with hemophilia. He also happened to be the same Alexei of the House of Romonav that was a patient to Rasputin. Alexi was named after him (with only a different spelling) because she was also born with hemophilia. And now she was rambling, the point is, people didn't like her name cause it was different, same with her hair.

Honestly, her work was like a petty middle-school with the 'quiet kids' being the only sane ones. All in all, she was going to enjoy being free from the endless teasing for a while.

As she walked, she felt a shiver run down her spine, but of course she brushed it off as the cold. It's not the first time something odd has happened around her. Little did she know, that little shiver was the universe's last attempt at warning her to expect a lot from then on.

As she walked she started to pick up her pace as she saw she was nearing the alleyway that always gave her the creeps. As she tried to hurry past it, she found herself stopping abruptly when she heard something. Alexi was no idiot, she knew when you hear an unidentifiable noise from an alley, you don't go in. So why was she now walking into the dark crevice?

As she entered deeper into the alley, she looked around to see if she could find the cause of the noise. Of course her mind was running with all possible situations that could go wrong. As she inched further she felt something hit her foot. As a response she heard a lot of angry mewls. Her eyes trailed down to a soaked cardboard box with several drenched kittens inside.

She couldn't see them to clearly, but none the less, she reached down and picked up the box, refusing to let them stay in the pouring, not to mention freezing, rain.

Oh, she had no idea how much she did with just that small decision to get those kittens out of the rain. No idea just how much would change, not only in her world either. 

-610 words
Rewritten/edited 2