Willow Rosenberg (4)

I didn't want to worry him, but even I shivered walking down those stairs. With no railing on the sides of the stairs didn't make anything easier. Each step creaked louder then the last, and it made my heart pound louder and faster each time. The way the breeze got colder the farther down we went, I tried to look up at him for reassurance. I didn't want him to think I was going to murder him. That's when I noticed how dark it really was. His eyes are hard to find and all I can see are the whites of his teeth as he took a breath with his mouth open. I go to grab my little light that I keep with me. At least if we could see a little bit, it might make him feel a little bit better. It's a little lamp I made myself. It even has a little door to it. It was something my grandfather helped me make, so it meant so much to me. 

      I always kept what I needed to light my little lamp. It was so simple to do. A little flick, and then boom, light. I know that sounds like something a kid would say, but it was honestly so simple. I noticed the creaks on the steps had stopped. I wasn't sure if maybe I was losing my mind, or I went deaf. I moved my light to face the upstairs and could see the blue in his eyes. Once again, those eyes looked at me with an intense gaze. I almost lost my train of thought, but I remembered what I was doing. I smiled to him, and he actually smiled back. So much relief rushed through my body, and I actually felt okay. It was nice to see that he wasn't freaking out, but was calmer then I expected. He was about 6 steps behind me. I noticed while we kept going down, he started moving slower. I wasn't sure why, but then again, this place gave me the creeps too. 

      "You don't have to stay so far back. I promise you nothing bad is going to happen. I haven't been down hear in a while, but this is my place. No one should have gotten down here since the day I locked the door."

      "Why does it have to feel like a ghost is following me every second? It's giving me goosebumps. I swear I'm not trying to sound weak, but you've certainly got me hooked to follow you."

     I try my best to keep him calm. I understand I'm a stranger to him, but down here he will be more safe then out there. I want him to know that he's protected no matter how mad I was at him earlier. "Just trust me. You've told me to trust you, and for some reason I decided to let a little part of me do so. Now, trust me and everything will be okay. You're more safe down here then you are out there."

      "I'm trying to trust you, I really am. I just don't have very much of that to give anymore. I don't think bringing someone into a dark stairwell to a dark room makes someone feel good."

      I almost burst out in laugh. This was the greatest thing I had ever heard. At least he's trying to keep things calm. Seems as though he is trying to be funny. "Jake, there are more lamps down here. I turned this one on so I could see you. I needed to make sure you were okay. Once we get down to the bottom I will use my light to help me turn on the others. It's not going to be a dark room forever. Now, can you just follow me so I don't have to look at you in the dark anymore?"

      He looked at me as if he was ready to turn back around, but he didn't. The second guess look in his eyes really showed, but he didn't leave. He took a step down and the creaks began to make noise again. At least I know I hadn't gone crazy from the sounds of the creaks stopping. I watched him take another step down until he got to the step above mine. My heart began to race a little, but I slowed my breathing down, which helped me calm down. I looked at him, smiling again and I took his hand. The butterflies almost swept me off my feet doing that, but it was the only way I knew to guarantee that he would trust me. He was hesitant to grab mine back, but he did anyways. Maybe I shouldn't have, but it just felt right to me. We walked the rest of the way down slowly, not to miss a step. When we finally reached the bottom I tried to let go of his hand, but he didn't release his grasp. I wasn't almost worried, but I didn't let it get to me.