The Do's and Don'ts of Writing A Review

So I want to make this super short and sweet so my list is short.

1) Treat everyone the way you want to be treated: Constructive does not mean tearing someone down

What this means is that before you make a suggestion for the author to change something, think about what you are saying and how you are going to say it. Think about how you would want someone to tell you that a certain character's development could be done more effectively, or that someone could structure better a paragraph.

-Remember, people won't remember what you said. But they will remember the way you made them feel.

This means that people are more willing to listen to people who encourage them, instead of discourage them.

2) Much ado about nothing: No Nit Pickiness for no reason

I am just going to come out and say it as it is...the point of the review is not to mold your partner into what you think a writer or writing should be. You are definitely here to give feedback, but just because a story is structured differently from yours, does not mean it is wrong.

For example,  If you like to write in present tense but the other likes to write in the past tense, instead of seeing it as an issue, take the blessed opportunity to not only learn something new but also a way to help the person further strengthen their own writing style.

3) All roads lead to home: Spell- Check

This might be a stupid one but if you guys want to you can ask where each other is from. I say this because things are spelled differently in different countries and it is never fun to receive a bunch of comments that say that something is spelled wrong when it is not.

*If in doubt...look it up

4) "You are like a daughter/son to me." : Treat your partner's book as if it were your own.

Remember we are all here to get ready for the Wattys and to help each other out! Give the review that you want to receive, and give your partner the advice that you would want someone to tell you. Meaning, that if you think something sticks out and if it were your book you would want someone to tell you, then tell the person!