5

Sainte Systems isn't far from the Ferrari building. It's only two and a half blocks away, and easily walkable, even in heels. I used to look up to women who could do this—march through the city in six-inch stilettos—but now I'm one of them.

Romans office is on the top floor. All CEO's have their offices as high up as possible, not only to get the best views but also to show their rank. Both my parents and all my aunts and uncles used to have their offices on the top floor in the Ferrari building. Now it's just my oldest sister Maz. She was promoted to CEO when my uncle Kaleem stepped down. I think he might still have an office, though. He's still on the board of directors, he just didn't want to spend all his time in the office once he had kids. That's what my dad did, too, except he became chairman, and still is to this day. All my other aunts and uncles have either retired or moved to international divisions of the Ferrari Corporation.

When I finally arrive at Romans floor, it's unusually quiet. His receptionist is nowhere to be seen, and the bullpen is almost empty. There are just three guys there, working away at their computers. I walk past them, heading right for Romans office. The door is slightly ajar, so I peek inside without knocking.

"We're not supplying a mediocre product. If the PSU isn't up to scratch, keep working on it until it is. Nothing is hitting the market until I can guarantee customer satisfaction, got it?" Roman paces back and forth, speaking angrily on the phone. I don't catch his attention until I step further into the room. Amusement flashes in his eyes when they land on mine, a small smirk pulling at his lips.

"Sorry," I whisper, quietly shutting the door behind me.

"I've got to go, Ryan. I'll call you back," he pulls his phone away from his ear, keeping his eyes locked on mine. "What are you apologising for, babydoll? You know you're welcome here anytime."

"Don't call me that," I warn, but I can't hide my smile. "I'm here on business, and business only."

"Sure," he leans against the front of his desk, not believing my words at all. "What can I do you for?"

"First of all, you can't send any more lingerie to my office."

"Should I send it to your parents' house instead?"

"No, you shouldn't send me anything at all."

"You didn't like my gift?" he leans against the front of his desk, his tone still as cocky as ever.

"That's not the point."

"So you did like it, huh?" he grins. "I knew you would. You deserved something nice."

"I just wish you didn't have any ulterior motives."

"Ulterior motives?"

"Uh-hmm."

"I don't know what you're talking about. I just thought you deserved a nice welcome home gift."

"Then I suppose you won't mind if I wear it for somebody else, huh?" I taunt.

"Well, I wouldn't go that far," he snickers. "That set is for my eyes only."

"That's what I thought," now it's my turn to smirk.

"We are in New York, aren't we? You know the rules."

"That I do," I nod.

"You better."

It takes everything in me to hold myself back, to stop myself from jumping his bones and letting him take me right here on his desk. But I know better than that.

"Can you just sign this for me, please?," I hold the documents up in the air. "The purchasing team screwed up. We need cash registers and security cameras by next week."

"No problem," he takes the papers from me, giving them a brief scan. The amusement in his eyes wavers, a frown settling in on his brows. "Hmm."

"Is there something wrong?"

"I'm surprised," he says. "This is a purchasing request."

"That's what I said, isn't it?"

"It is. I just expected something... sexier."

"Not today," I shake my head. "I told you, I'm here for business."

"I find that hard to believe."

"Did you forget about our conversation last night?"

"No, I didn't, but I think we both know you're lying to yourself," he crosses his arms over his chest, his teasing smirk returning. "You want this just as badly as I do."

"Maybe I do," I taunt, taking a few steps towards him. "But that doesn't matter."

"You don't think we can do it—hide it from your brother?"

"It doesn't matter. The risk has changed," I insist. "We get caught now, everything Diego's been working for is down the drain."

"We won't get caught. We've already been doing it for two years. We're experts now."

"But we haven't done it like this before—not right under Diego's nose."

"Yes, we have. We barely stick to the New York rule. We can't stay away from each other and you know it."

"But it's different now. We've never been in the same place for an extended period of time before. We don't have any rules for living in the same city."

"Then let's make some," he suggests. "Rule number one: Take this opportunity and be together as a couple, for real."

"Roman—," I sigh. "You know we can't do that."

"Why not? it's what we both want. It's what we've both wanted for years, and now we finally get the chance. Are you really going to let Diego stop that?"

"Yes," I insist. "We might be in the same city, but the timing is wrong. We have to give it a few months at least... until Diego is more stable."

"So then we're not done yet, are we?" he points out. "You can try breaking up with me all you want, but I won't let you go that easily—not if I know there's still a chance for us."

I purse my lips, shifting my gaze away from his. I can't look at him anymore. Even being in the same room as him gets me excited.

"There's always going to be a chance for us," I admit. "You're right. I shouldn't have called it quits so soon. I'm just worried about my brother."

"I know," he moves closer to me, lifting his hand to wrap a strand of hair between his fingers. "But you don't have to worry about that, okay? I'm looking out for him—keeping him on track."

"Do you promise?"

"Of course," he pulls me into him, a warm shiver shooting down my spine as he presses a kiss against my forehead. The feel of his big arms on my shoulders is more than welcome. I relish in his scent—the hints of coconut all too familiar. I bought him this cologne. "Now I'm going to sign this contract and you're going to get the hell out of here before I rip this dress off you, got it?"

"Got it."