Chapter 1

I wouldn't think of myself as a very confident person, but when im drunk I prove myself wrong. Today is the first day I have been properly out in about two months and I thought I owed it to myself to leave the dorm before I went crazy. I've been locked in the same environment for ages, it's felt like years. Studying for college and having enough stress to last me a lifetime. I don't socialise much. I'd rather spend my time reading. That's probably why I lack confidence. "Hannah, are we finished here, it's almost three in the morning" Grace asked. "erm..nope, I love you Grace have I ever told you that before?" I knew I was too drunk to even think straight, sleeping sounds like the best option right now. I can hear Grace giggle. "no you haven't but im pretty sure it's the alcohol talking".

"hmm, can you take me home" I asked. I knew I couldn't navigate myself home even if I tried.

"of course, lets go" grace said with humour in her voice.

• • •

I turned my head and looked at my alarm clock. '13:48'. "shit, grace! Wake up!" I was late for my interview that is scheduled for half 2. It takes me a few hours to get ready normally, so this is extremely late for me. "what?" Grace questioned.

"you need to drive me to my interview" I know this sounded so selfish to wake her up considering that she took care of me last night or early this morning im not really sure. But I don't want to be late for my job interview today. I need to buy my own car, so I don't need to rely on Grace. My head is banging, all I want to do is sleep.

"oh yeah, I forgot about that, ill be ready in 10 minutes and so should you" said grace with a hint of annoyance in her voice.

"im sorry, I shouldn't have drunk last night" it's the second time I've been drunk and probably the last.

"its fine" she laughs "just get ready" I smile back at her and take my toiletry bag with me to the showers. I absolutely hate sharing showers with everyone here. I just want to get my own apartment and have some privacy. I finish my shower and head back to the dorm. I put on a tight black dress, not to revealing but not that it covers everything up either. Put on my everyday make up, dry and straighten my hair then slip on pair of slick black heels. I grab my handbag, keys and phone then head out of the door. When I get outside of the dorms, I see Grace doing her makeup in the car mirror and laugh to myself. I walk over and get in the car.

"you could have done that inside" informing Grace as I fastened my seatbelt.

"no need to point that out, I just wanted to see if the car was working"

"of course you did"

We both laugh. Once Grace has finished applying her make-up we set off. Grace is such a good friend, she's my best friend in fact. She has been here for me ever since I moved here. She's helped me through everything like the first time I was drunk, that's enough to scare anyone off, but she stayed and I love her dearly for that.

"are you nervous?" she said, cutting me from my thoughts.

"yes, im so nervous, I haven't even thought about what they are going to say to me" maybe getting drunk wasn't the best idea.

"Hannah, I know you will be fine, your one of the smartest people I know and im sure you'll get the job"

"thank you, I mean, its only a job for the local bookstore but it pays quite well"

"as I said, you will be fine" Grace's words make me smile.

We stay in a comfortable silence for the rest of the journey to the bookstore. Its 10 minutes until my interview so as soon as we reach our destination, I say a small thank you to Grace and rush into the building.