Prologue - A Disastrous Dream

The gloomy grey sky finally gave up. Tiny drops of cool rain water kissed my burning cheeks. My hands, ice cold, gripped tighter to my overcoat. My feet felt numb and weary. The chilly breeze pierced through my eyes, and consequently blurred my vision. I was running. The only sounds I could recognize were my hurried footsteps and the pounding of my heart that worked double-time to deliver oxygen to my already tired and swollen lungs.

But no, I was not alone in this desolated place. There were other footsteps: unfamiliar ones. I strived to dissolve them from my thoughts, from my hallucination. Waste of time. Even so, I continued to run. To where and for what reason, I was terrified I didn't know.

The misty billows hid the dazzling starlight; even the rays of the silver moon battled the veil of the night. The darkness lurked in all places. I remembered nothing but shadows.

Shadows. Footsteps. Now it made sense. Those shadows were after me. Wherever I went, they were constantly present. I tried my greatest to ignore them, but to no avail. Each time I shut my eyes, they would erratically come into sight, popping out of thin air.

And at that time, they came to catch me.

My legs pleaded for rest. I could not sense my heartbeat anymore. However, they were still after me. And I was still running like the wind, afraid for the shadows to take hold of me. But they were faster. Almost immediately they had me. I gasped. I knew my heart would fail me anytime soon. Soon I would be cold, lifeless. They surrounded me, resembling a blanket of obscurity and dread. I was struggling to break free; tears escaped in pairs from my blood shut eyes.

I was screaming.

I was screaming despite the fact that I was certain not a soul could hear me.

Whispers filled my dizzy head. The whispers grew louder and clearer as the hum of my shrieks faded into the darkness. Fear and panic swallowed me. All I could do was to wait. Wait for the horror to consume me. Wait for my delusion to end. Wait until I was nothing but a dull memory. I was shaking terribly, like an earthquake struck into my whole system.

Please. Make it quick. Please. Please. Please.

My pulse grew weaker. My body went frozen. I closed my exhausted eyes, awaiting my judgment.

The whispers went on until a familiar voice stood out and reached my ears.

That voice. The heavenly voice was calling out to me. He was calling out to me. He was trying to save me.

I tried to open my eyes but an intense brightness engulfed me. Just then, everything went black. The void made me quiver, except I could still hear his blissful voice. That voice. That heavenly voice.

A faint flash of moonlight blinded me as I resisted the heaviness in my lids. The voice was already shouting at me. I fought dreadfully hard to open my eyes as a pool of memories flooded my throbbing head. My heartbeat was still drumming furiously against my rib cage. It took me a lot of courage to wrestle with my mentality before I became aware of waking up. I was still shuddering and crying at the same instance, however, instead of wicked shadows, an angelic silhouette was sitting next to me.

The angel, my angel, smiled his charming and reassuring smile at me, like he always did; an indication that I was safe and sound. I smiled back at him, even though it was a painful grin. He whispered my name once more. His voice reverberated in my ears, echoing the sweet tune of his accent.

I knew it has been a long horrid night. My head hurt so badly. I felt very cold and weak. And I was still crying, regardless of the light rain falling from the fuming sky.

I blinked the salty dampness off my eyes. The second my vision turned lucid, I stared longingly at the angel's innocent facade. His hair was drenched from the rain. His chocolate brown gaze was melting me. His arms provided me with warmth. I felt so secure in his embrace I could linger there for a lifetime. His heartbeat echoed my own. He looks so celestial I could die. We just remained there, holding each other, motionless. For how long I didn't care. I seriously didn't. All I wanted is for that moment to last. With him being so near, I want to believe I was in heaven. Yes. Heaven.

The reflection of the shadows clouded my cranium again. But I was not afraid anymore.

A nightmare. What happened was just a nightmare.

My angel came for me. That was the only thing that mattered.

Everything was finally right.

Everything felt true.

It was not a ghastly dream anymore.

The dire illusion lastly came to an end.