Chapter Three

It is beautiful. The city is constructed of bright building leaning on all sorts of odd angles. Because travel beyond your district is strictly forbidden, with the exception of those on official government business, I have never seen the Capitol in person. The closest I've come is looking at the out-dated photos. The Capitol beauty cannot be captured in a photograph. You have to view it in person to appreciate it.

I gasp, and put my hands to my mouth. There is a lake off to the left of the Capitol, which reflects a watery but sparkling version of the city.

Cato steps forward, so he is uncomfortably close. It wouldn't have been uncomfortably close if I wasn't trying to ignore him. Then I remember the Tribute Parade. Cato and I will be dressed up in silly outfits, and we'll have to stand side-by-side, practically touching shoulders.

Ignoring him is going to be harder than I thought.

But I'll have to. Now that I've started thinking about the events before the Games, I know that if I suck up to Cato, he'll outshine me. All my life, I've come in second to him, and if I'm to win these Games, I'll need to come first and attract all the sponsors. As far as I can tell, Cato and I are the most attractive tributes this year. That stupid girl from 12 may have put on a little display of volunteering for her sister, but she'll only secure a handful of sponsors.

Cato and I are fit, but if sponsors had to choose, it really wouldn't be any competition. Cato is not only intelligent, he is incredibly attractive. He's well muscled from all the time he spent in the gym, and his blond hair and blue eyes help him look amazing. If I play it just right, then I might be able to scoop up the sponsors. 

Before I can dwell too much, we are passing through the actual city, on our way to the station. The sidewalks are lined with residents, who are all clapping or waving betting slips. My hands stay by my mouth. If I take them away I don't trust myself not to laugh. These people all look ridiculous. They are covered in extreme make-up, in almost any colour, most of them totally outrageous. There are not only amazingly long eyelash extensions, but tattoos, extreme hairstyles that have to be wigs, and layers upon layers of eye shadow.

"Look at them," Cato says. He's obviously trying to get me to stop ignoring him. "They all look ridiculous!"

Despite myself, I laugh. "I know! Do you think that we'd end up like this if we lived in the Capitol?"

"Me, no," Cato says. "But you...yep."

I laugh again, and see that the clothes are no better. They are all puffed up or extremely tight. They are made of the oddest materials like mesh and metal and one even looks like tempered  glass. Beside me, Cato waves to the crowd, who go crazy for it. He's got a head start on me. I take my hands away from my mouth, and I start to wave. Following Cato's lead, I put on my best smile, and wave. The crowd goes nuts, screaming and waving back. Cato and I are already safely the favourites.

The train slows, and we pull into the station. It is even more crowded that the streets. Each person is trying to get to the front to see us. My smile widens as I suck up the praise the residents are screaming through the glass.

The train comes to a complete stop, and the door opens. It's Leona, Millian and Lisia. They escort us off the train. We walk in front of them, and the crowd tries to get past the barriers that create a slim walkway for us. Their hands reach over the sides, and I can hear our names chanted through the station.

"Cato! Clove! District Two!"

I hold my head high and continue waving. Cato does the same, and I think that the Capitol citizens almost overpower the Peacekeepers and the barriers. Everyone is eager to get a glimpse of us.