Chapter 24

I grabbed the breakfast tray with the plate of fresh cookies and two glasses of milk on it and carried it upstairs. Once I calmed down Tristan made me see that I was a bit harsh on Kenny and I needed to apologize. I mean I was a bit harsh, but I was scared and she disobeyed my number one rule.
      I made her favorite which was cookies and went to talk things over. I knocked on her door and opened it to find her fast asleep under the covers. I placed the tray on the nightstand next to the bed and woke her. "Kenny" I called softly. "Kenny wake up I have something for you" I smiled sitting her up and holding her to me.
       "Are you still mad?" She asked looking at me sadly making my heart hurt. I sighed and looked at her. She looked just like our mom more and more every day. "Kenny I'm sorry for yelling at you like that" I said looking at her. "But you have to understand that your daddy is a very bad man." I exclaimed looking at her. I hated telling her stuff like this, but she needed to hear it.
       "But why?" She asked. "You know how Tristan is a werewolf" I said, and she nodded. "Well daddy doesn't like them, and he decided that he doesn't want them here anymore" I exclaimed as nice as possible. "Ok but why can't I see him?" She asked making me think of a reasonable answer. I mean she is still five. Well she's about to be six but still. I should just tell her the truth and get it over with.
      "Ok" I sighed "Kennedy you're about to be six right" I smiled making her smile and nod. "So that means that you're maturing now. Getting older and smarter" I said looking at her and she nodded. "So I'm going to talk to you like a mature young lady" I said and she nodded looking confused.
     "Daddy is something like an exterminator." I explained. "You mean like when we had those bugs that kept eating the house?" She asked and I nodded. "But not in a good way. He doesn't like that Tristan and his friends are different from us and he wants to harm them badly." I explained with our getting gory. "But maybe we can tell him they're our friends and he'll stop" she smiled optimistically.
      "Baby I wish it was that easy but it's not." I exclaimed looking at her sadly. How could I tell her without damaging her image of Paul even more? "Listen" I smiled at her "I love you and I promised mom that I would protect you. Even if it's from family." I said. "But I will see if I can get him to change his mind" I lied.
       "So, how'd it go?" Tristan asked laying down next to me. "Uugh" I groaned rolling over to look at him. "Bad?" He asked pulling me close to him. "I lied to her" I exclaimed into his shirt. He smelled like fresh mint and fresh grass. "You smell like grass" I said looking up at him. "Well we've been doubling up patrol lately" he said kissing my forehead making me feel bad. "I'm sorry" I apologize snaking my hand up under his shirt. "What are you sorry for?" He asked looking at me. "For this for everything" I sighed sadly. "You're my mate I'm supposed to protect you" he said kissing me making me smile.
      I leaned up and deepened the kiss by sucking on his bottom lip. He rolled us over so that he was on top of me settling between my legs making me feel all of him. He kissed his way down to my neck making me moan. "Tristan" I called catching his attention. "I want to start the mating process" I breathed as he started to suck on the spot behind my ear. He stopped at looked me in my eyes as if he was searching for something.
     "Really?" He asked making me nod. "We've been together for a while now and I want this" I said looking at him. "Are you sure?" He asked hopefully. "Yeah" I smiled. "Ok" he smiled kissing me. "Wait" he said getting off me making me frown. "No" I whined "No wait. I want sex" I frowned climb on top of him. "And I want to officially become Luna Sawyer" I smiled leaning down to kiss him. "As great as that sounds" he smiled kissing me "I want to do this the right way this time" he said.
       "Are you ever going to tell me about her?" I asked looking at him. I don't know why it bothered me so much. I mean he never mentioned her. Maybe he still loved her. "Stop" he said rubbing my cheek. "Stop what?" I asked leaning against his hand. "Stop over thinking about it." He smiled. "Why don't you talk about her? Do you still have feelings for her?" I asked lowly feeling my heart race. "No" he said lifting my chin to look him in the eyes. "It's just" he sighed. "Amber was a nice girl. It's just I feel somewhat responsible for her death" he sighed looking hurt.
     I didn't know what to say. He looked pretty torn up about it. "I'm pretty sure you're not responsible" I said looking at him. "I am. It's my fault." He said looking at me. "I didn't want to let go of my alpha title" he said. "Wait so you guys were already mates?" I asked. "No but we were engaged" he said looking at me. "What happened?" I asked.
      "Troy decided to step down as alpha, and we couldn't leave the pack without an alpha." He said. "I mean I was next in line and I didn't have a mate. So, we made a contract with the neighboring pack and in order to bind the contract Amber and I had to become mated." He sighed. "At first I was excited I was finally going to become alpha but then it got real too fast. We had to plan a wedding and merge our territories. Then a few months later she found her true mate. I mean I knew already but I was mad. I didn't want to lose my position." He said.
      "We fought a lot because I wouldn't let her go, and then when her mate challenged me, he lost. Couldn't handle came back and tried to kill me but instead she got in the way and he shot her." He finished sadly. "It wasn't your fault" I said hugging him. "But it was. If I wasn't on a power trip, I would've seen Amber's mate coming. I would've seen that she wasn't happy, and I would've seen her jump Infront of a bullet to save me." He smiled sadly. "What happened to her mate?" I asked curious. "I don't know." He shrugged.
      "We lost him after Amber died." He exclaimed. "So, this time I want to do this right. For my true mate" he said kissing me. "Fine" I sighed rolling my eyes. "But we can at least do other things" I smiled slyly. "Oh really" he smiled. "Really" I smiled kissing him.