Chapter 1: Black Ravens

I keep having these nightmares

  I keep having these nightmares. Nightmares that will leave you so sick you'll be too afraid to close your eyes when the sun sets behind the nightmarish hills of debris and ashes. Nightmares so spine-chilling that you'll jump out of your sleep letting out the most blood-curdling scream you've ever let out. Nightmares that make you drop down to your knees and scream at the thunder filled sky begging and crying for forgiveness for whatever you've done, even if you know you haven't done anything wrong. It feels strange to describe these nightmares in such a way when I, Kage Mist, the ruler of RavenView, reside in Muspelheim which is the realm of fire. The castle hangs over a sea of fire and the dragons surround the castle and village with intent to warn me or whoever they cross paths with first of intruders. Kallai is my dragon who generically harnesses fire but is still there when I need him. As wise as he is, he cannot understand why I'm having these horrible nightmares. Not only am I seeing these horrible mirages when I slumber, but during the day when I am meant to be keeping the Kingdom in perfect conditions. The visions start to feel more and more like reality each day. It's as if the chords of a black violin start to rise in volume and drown out the noises I should be hearing around me and before I know it, I'm drowning in visuals of my Kingdom burning to the ground, joining the ashes of those who have quested into these treacherous parts and failed to carry out their missions. It's easy to see why I cannot let that happen but who's to say that these visions are going to become a reality? Kallai suspects that they may just be nightmares due to sleep deprivation but if there is the slightest chance that I am foreseeing what could be the future of this Kingdom, I will do whatever it takes to protect those around me even if it costs me my life.

     There is one person in particular that I prefer to keep by my side. Her name is Obsidia Valkyrie but the villagers call her The Lady in Black. One thing about Obsidia is that her trust is unmatched which is why I pray to my long lost grandfather Mimir that she stays protected under his two scintillating jewel eyes. I set out from my room to hers, which is across the hall, to see if she has awoken from her slumber but it seems that she's already up along with her darling younger sister Hailee Aiyana. Their family adopted Hailee after she lost her family in a war between light and dark elves in Alfheim. They tried to be peacemakers but as ruthless as the dark elves are, they murdered many innocent bystanders without remorse as they are evil. I hurry down to the entrance way that connects to the village to see Obsidia and Hailee greeting the villagers and helping in any way they can. Despite them being of royalty they give help where it's needed and are happy with that so I won't take that away from them no matter what anyone may think. Obsidia sings a song that her and I wrote together about how lovely and peaceful our kingdom is despite it being surrounded by dragons and fire. The little lullably-like song goes "Down in the dark garden our souls are at rest, down in the dark garden our lives are blessed, down in the dark garden we treasure the light, down in the dark garden our smiles shine bright, down in the dark garden kindness is welcome in and never sin". She then hums the song to keep the children entertained as the song was mostly written for them to keep their nerves down. It seems that it worked as the children run in circles around Obsidia and hum to the song with her. I try to give my best smile as I am still shaken up by the nightmare I had earlier. Obsidia smiles back at me and greets me as though she hasn't seen me in ages.