Chapter 1

LED lights were flashing as the last few electric guitar chords and drum beats rang through the whole arena. Kim Sunggyu, clad in his metal-studded leather jacket, ripped black jeans and strapped boots, had just finished one of his most charismatic rock stages to date. It was a screamo number that the crowd went completely wild for, soon cheering for an encore performance to his encore performance. A bunch of scantily clad women started taking off their barely existent tees, displaying a little shirt-whirling action before throwing them on stage in high hopes that he caught them for him to wipe his sweat on or something.

As the lights were finally coming down to a slow dim, he decided to just close his eyes and bask in the remaining moments of glory and fame. Now that his hearing was better focused, he could now pick out particular screams from fangirls that stood out and made his ego swell considerably.

“SUNGGYU, YOU’RE SO HANDSOME!”

“SUNGGYU, PLEASE BE MINE FOREVER! MARRY ME, PLEASE?!?”

“MY BODY IS READY, KIM SUNGGYU! LET ME HAVE YOUR BABIES!”

A unique one caught his attention after an attempt to thoroughly listen. It started out as something very inaudible and grew louder and louder as the seconds passed, yet he could barely make out nor comprehend what these words were. It was distinct from the rest, not only because it was rather repetitive, but because it was a pitch lower. Scratch that, three pitches lower-- that voice definitely belonged to a male. And it sounded like it was coming from the back of his head.

Wake... up?

"Sunggyu, WAKE UP!"

"YES, I'M AWAKE!" His eyes automatically shot open. His co-worker, Byunghyun, was now hovering over him, looking at him in amusement. His presence there only meant that his shift was almost over. "Jesus Christ, Byunghyun, did you really have to yell in my ear?"

"I had to or you would have spent the whole night asleep in the back alley, regardless if it rained or not. Not like the boss would have minded. He can't even tell if you're awake or asleep because you have coin slits for eyes."

Playfully, Sunggyu threw the wet rag he had been holding this whole time towards his colleague, unfortunately missing his face in the process due to bad aiming. "Big words from someone who has to procure an ID every time he comes to work just to validate his age. Is it hard being such a midget, Byunghyun?"

"If you had my 12 to 6 AM shift, you'd be this vertically-challenged too. Now shut it and clean up so I can take over already."

Yawning, Sunggyu quickly got up, yanking his apron off and hanging it on the rack as he made his way back into the kitchen. His heavy duty dishwashing gloves were perfectly tossed into the nearest sink and after wringing his hands once, he had also proceeded to taking off his bandana, carefully pocketing it. Byunghyun had put his own gear on as he followed after him.

"I take it, you were having a good dream? Makes me curious to find out what you were dreaming about. At one bit, you just started drooling profusely in your sleep. I hope to God it wasn't something lewd."

Sunggyu casually picked up the nearest mop to use as a stand-in for a microphone. "Kim Sunggyu the rockstar. I'll be rolling in trillions and billions of won from recording grants and royalties. Don't you think it suits me?"

"You? A rockstar? Can you even sing in the first place?"

"I was part of a band back in highschool, Lee Byunghyun."

"Sure. But where is it now? Reality check, you're completely mental, Kim Sunggyu," Byunghyun snorted. Sunggyu couldn't even spare a moment to feel the least bit dejected. Surely, this wasn't the first time he's heard wishful thinking like this getting shot down; he was practically used to it by now. "Anyway, could you bring the last couple of clean glasses in for me while I settle in? You can leave then."