Chapter 19: Typical Rosewood Boy

Dakota leaves the yearbook club classroom with her bag slung onto her shoulder. She hurries past the other girls, who scoff at her as she jets off down the hall. She would rather not spend any more time with students at Rosewood High more than she already has to but her mom has been in her head about joining clubs at school because "colleges like that" and "it'll give you something to do". The yearbook club consists of seniors with 4.0 GPA's and high ponytails and shirts buttoned to their chins. Dakota doesn't belong in there and the students involved confirm it every day.

"Dakota, hey." Tyler emerges from one of the tutoring rooms near the cafeteria as Dakota passes by. His navy blue backpack dangles from his shoulder and his headed bracelet slides down to his elbow.

"Hey-lo," Dakota greets him lamely. "I meant hello."

He grins down at her, a whole head taller. "I know."

"Did you need something?" Dakota licks her lips, mentally cursing herself for asking.

She needs to distance herself from Tyler as much as humanly possible. What Dakota knows about him is far too sensitive, a secret Tyler doesn't know she knows. A secret that burns inside of Dakota's chest every time she is around him. Everything inside of her vibrates with guilt. First the Remy Thing, and then she witnessed what happened between Tyler and his long-lost mom.

"I wanted to ask you a question," Tyler says bravely, holding his breath. "And feel free to say no."

Dakota squints at him, arcing a brow.

"Would you want to meet up at the Grille sometime?" he asks. "It's only the second day of school and I'm already lost when it comes to chem."

Frankly, Dakota would much rather not entertain anyone at the moment or in the near future. Not when Remy or someone else with brave texting thumbs are out pretending to be Ali, messaging her and her old friends. But she can't really say that.

"We haven't even taken that many notes yet," Dakota reminds him, blinking.

"I know, but I dozed off today and woke up feeling like I was on another planet with the material."

This is true. Dakota realized during class why every girl has developed a crush on Tyler Firestone at one point or another. Even in his sleep, he was model material, quietly stirring every now and then.

"We could arrange something," she agrees before checking the time on her phone. She still has plans with Neah today, as far as she knows, and if she's going to stop home for her mix tapes, she needs to leave now. She perks up. "I have plans right now. With a friend."

The words are foreign on Dakota's tongue but Tyler doesn't seem to notice.

"Yeah, I figured we could do something another day so no worries." He waves his hand at her. "Just let me know."

She nods, promising to do just that. But the guilt swells up inside of her again and she wants to vomit.