Chapter 1

"Absolutely not, mom," I exclaimed.

"Why not? It'll be fun!"

"There's no way you're convincing me."

"I don't want you neglecting all your friends, Athena," my mother said as she grabbed my dirty clothes off the floor.

"That's not what I meant, and it's not like I have many to neglect," I emphasized.

"I heard your little plan of...what did you say? 'Ghosting' everyone?"

"Oh come on that's not fair at all, you barely even know what the term means!" I rebounded.

"I know enough to know that you're overlooking your chance to improve your social life! You were so outgoing in junior year, then when summer came around you just abandoned it." She said.

"Would you rather me have a 2.0 GPA and fail all my finals? 'Cause if that's what you want, I'll forget about school and go party or something-"

"Oh, Thena you know that's not what I meant! You're smart enough already, you just need a break from all of it, go make some new friends!" She interrupted.

"I have good friends," I mumbled.

"Yes, Sydney is very good to you and I love having her over almost every night but," she said, obviously lying. "you should put yourself out there. You should be more open like you use to be. It's like you've just become depressed."

I glared at her.

"You better not send me to therapy or some shit," I retorted.

She looked at me with a motherly expression.

"I'm not saying you have to join a bunch of clubs, just please go to this event. Who knows? You might meet a cute boy..." She trailed off.

"NO. I already told you, there's no way I'll change my mind."

"I'll give you some time to think," she said as she walked out of my room with a laundry basket.

I put in earbuds trying to shut out all the new thoughts my mother crammed into my mind.

"She's being ridiculous," I thought to myself.

After what I went through in my junior year, she should understand. There's no way I'm going to put any of my attention toward men. They're nothing more than a bunch of pricks and don't deserve my love. My mom should know that too, with my asshole of a father.

As I lay in my bed, I try to think of what to do this weekend to get the hell away from my mother. I love her, but she won't leave me alone about the whole "making new relationships" thing. I decide to postpone my train of thought and call Sydney. After 3 rings, she picks up.

"Hey! What's up?" She asks with an enthusiastic voice.

"Nothing, just trying to avoid my barbaric mom," I reply.

"What is it now?"

"She's pushing me to go to some event and "meet new people."

"Ew, no. No socializing..."

"Yeah, that's what I tried telling her," I laugh. "I don't think she'll force me to, but..." I trail off.

"But...?" She asks.

"I don't know. I guess since this summer I've chosen myself more often...I don't care about being popular anymore."

"Ok, yeah, same and besides," she stops to take a bite of something. "Why is she worried about you making friends, aren't I enough?"

"That's what I told her," I chuckle.

"So what's the problem then?" She asks.

"I don't know, Syd."

"Do you want to sleep over?"

"Yes. Please. I need to get out of here." I reply and hang up.

As I get my bag and fill it with miscellaneous items, I think of the school year that's soon to come. I'll be amongst some of the oldest people in my class. The more I think about it, the scarier it seems. Would if I fail all my classes? Would if no colleges accept me? And before I realize it, I seem to be packing my whole room into my backpack. I run down the stairs and attempt not to be noticed by my mother in the kitchen. But unfortunately, things don't always go my way.

"Where are you going?" She asks.

"Syd's," I say, quickly throwing on shoes.

"Athena, you need to be home by-" I cut her off by slamming the door behind me and running next door.

HEY GUYS SO THAT WAS THE FIRST CHAPTER [hehe]...
Um yeah I don't upload to Wattpad that often and this story is going to be in parts, it's kinda in beta I guess???
And I have class like every day so I'll try to upload at least once a week!
The chapters will often be longer.
ANYWAYS ENJOY THE STORY