9

Italian
Princess: principessa
Brothers:  Fratelli's

Word count: 1030

MAIA'S POV

I found myself on my hands and knees, working hard to remove the layers of dirt, blood, and grime that had accumulated on the worn, aged wooden floor. I scrubbed so hard that my skin began pealing, revealing tender, raw patches beneath. I let out a loud exasperated breath, feeling the weight of frustration as I brushed away a stray strand of hair that had fallen across my face.

The heavy wooden front door suddenly swung open with a loud slam, causing me to shiver in fear as my heart raced in anticipation of what was to come.

"Maia," a booming voice echoed through the small house.

I didn't dare utter a word.

In the quaint, small house, Jacob's thunderous voice seemed to echo through the walls. "Maia?" he called, an icy shiver running down my spine. In the midst of the deafening sound, I remained silent, not daring to utter a single word.

The weighty, echoing footsteps grew nearer, rumbling through the silence, and a wave of constriction enveloped my throat - too constricted, almost suffocating.

"Maia," Jacob screeched as he harshly gripped my hair. He forcibly grabs me by the arm and hoists me up, causing me to stagger onto my unsteady feet. He forcefully pushes me down, and it happens so quickly with such power that I am unable to react in time to move my hands in front of me to protect myself, causing immense pain in my already tender hands.

"Didn't I ask for this to be completed before I returned?" I nodded anxiously, my heart racing with fear, and kept my silence as he slowly crouched down to meet me at eye level. He once again gripped a handful of my tangled hair and repeatedly slammed my head against the hard wooden floor. I sat there with my hands tightly clenched by my sides, feeling the tension in my fingers as I tried to control my emotions.

Blood dripped from my forehead, "Look at you, making a mess again with your filthy blood. Clean this up now!" He forcefully struck my head once again.

☽☾

WIREMU'S POV

I gazed over at Maia with a sense of astonishment as I watched her drift off to sleep within a mere 5 minutes of settling into the car. The shopping trip had clearly drained my little principessa, but it was heartening to see her with new things. My Fratelli's and I had a limited time to shower Maia with love before she was taken from us. My principessa deserves the world.

As we drove, I whispered "My principessa" while stealing a glance at her. My security detail followed closely behind us, and they seemed to unsettle Maia when they swooped in to assist with the bags. But I must admit it was adorable to see her lean in closer to me for reassurance.

As we made our way to the gates of the house, Maia began to shift in her seat. Her body trembled ever so slightly, and as I glanced over at her, I could see the deep-rooted fear etched on her face.

As we finally arrive at the garage, I swiftly pull over to the side. My heart aches for my precious Principessa, knowing that she must be struggling with a nightmare. After all, she witnessed her Mama's death, and I can only imagine the turmoil she must be experiencing.

I reach into my pocket and pull out my phone, pressing Alessandro's number. He picks up after the first ring. "This better be important, I'm busy," Alessandro's voice sounds impatient. I let out a deep sigh. "I think Maia is having a nightmare. I don't think she's fully recovered from Emily's death," I say, my concern evident in my voice.

"Where are you?" Alessandro asked urgently over the phone. "We're in the garage, we just pulled up," I replied. Without another word, Alessandro quickly hung up. I assumed he was making a dash from his office down to the garage. Within a matter of minutes, I saw him hurrying towards us, finally reaching Maia's side of the car.

As he slowly opens the door, he crouches down to her eye level, his expression filled with concern. He watches as she trembles and repeatedly mumbles "no" in a distressed manner.

Alessandro's gaze met mine, his expression conveying the promise of a later conversation. With a tenderness that surprised me, he placed his hands on her shoulder and whispered her name, attempting to awaken her from her slumber. As I observed Alessandro's actions, a faint smile played on my lips; his gentle demeanour was a side of him I hadn't witnessed in a long time. It seemed he sensed my amusement, as his gaze shifted to me with a cold look. In response, I swiftly replaced my smile with a shake of my head.

After a moment, Maia's eyes fluttered open, and a single bead of sweat trickled down her forehead. Her gaze darted around the room, filled with alarm. "Hey, Principessa, it's okay. You're safe," I reassured her in a calm and soothing tone.

She gazed at me with a troubled expression before turning her worried eyes back to Alessandro. Alessandro removed his hand from her and rose to his feet. "It was just a nightmare, Maia. You're safe here," he reassured her, his voice carrying a hint of firmness. He straightened his suit and then extended his hand to help her up.

She gazed at his hand in silence for a minute, before gently intertwining her fingers with his. Maia rose slowly as Alessandro said, "Wiremu, take her bags upstairs. I'm going to make some tea for Maia." Alessandro's voice was hushed as he guided her out of the garage, away from the car.

As they turned to leave, I glanced over and noticed Maia still trembling. Her legs were shaking, and her shoulders were bunched up close together as she tried to compose herself.

I signalled for the security team to come and assist me with the heavy bags. As we hauled them up the stairs, thoughts of Maia and her recent nightmare weighed heavily on my mind. It became clear to me that I would need to have a serious discussion with Alessandro about the possibility of arranging therapy for her.