Chapter 3: regrets, pain and rain

When he reached the porch in front of the building he spotted her clinging onto the railing, her hand still covering her stomach. She looked so small standing there. She was taking short breaths, gasping for air and looked as if she was close to passing out. He wondered when the last time she ate a full meal was before shaking his head. He had to focus on her now.

Carefully, he walked up to her and put his hand on her shoulder to turn her body so that she was facing him. Her hands reached out immediately and grabbed around his torso until she was clinging onto him, like it was the only thing she knew, heavy sobs coming out of her mouth. It wasn't what he expected her to do but he let it happen. He wasn't going to push her away. Not in this state. His heart dropped at the sight of her and she kept sobbing against his chest. He pulled her close and her nails dug into his skin with how desperately she was trying to hold onto him.

"I'm so sorry, Jughead", she cried between sobs and he felt himself stiffen. What was she talking about? Was she saying sorry about the breakup or about what just happened inside?

He brushed through her hair and pressed her to his chest as he whispered shhh into her hair, trying to calm her.

"Don't think about that now", he hummed and they stayed like that until he felt her still against him, her breathing turning steady again.

"You okay?", he asked again, taking her face into his hands and brushing away her tears with his thumbs. She nodded slightly and lowered her head to look at her hands.

He followed her sight and gulped when he softly turned her hands to look at her palms. Her nails where stained in blood and he spotted the mess in her hands. There were countless of old scars that he knew by heart but so many additional new ones as well. And some were fresh, with blood smudged on her skin. God. For how long has she been doing this again?

"I'm sorry", she whispered embarrassed and wiped them clean on her pants.

"It's okay", he whispered, his voice painful as he wondered what the hell was going on in her mind to make her lash out like that.

"Come on, let me take you home and we'll clean these"

Betty raised her head to look at him. Her eyes were red and puffy and she struggled to keep them open.

"N-No, you don't have to", she stammered but he lifted her up and called a taxi over.

-

They didn't talk or look at each other during the ride. When they pulled up to her house, Betty didn't move. She sat pressed to the door and looked out of the window. He studied her posture and sighed.

"Is your mom home?"

Betty looked at him and nodded with tears in her eyes.

"If you don't want her to know then I won't tell her what happened", he assured her and she smiled slightly.

He paid the driver and they walked up to the house. Betty was uncomfortably walking next to him and her hands were clinging onto her purse. Alice opened the door right after the first ring and stared at him in shook.

"Jughead. I didn't expect you the be here", she said cold hearted before she looked at her daughter and gasped. Her make up was completely smudged but she tried to keep a smile on her face.

"Oh my god, Betty!", she squeaked and turned to hug her daughter, "What happened to you?"

He saw her hide her hands behind her back.

"I'm okay, mom", she whispered softly and he felt his heart break. She had always been a people pleaser.

"Can I come in to help her into her room? I just want to make sure she'll be okay", he asked and it felt as if they were teenagers again. He was an adult and he shouldn't have to ask her mom, he thought. He felt like an idiot but Alice looked at him as if she was thankful and invited him in.