Chapter 13: Meanwhile in Dire Island

FAIRYTALE DETECTIVE'S POV

The detective drifted in and out of sleep as the carriage trotted on the road. The unexpected mission in Montafleur took its toll on her and the detective can say she was drained to the bone. She knew this was also in part that she hasn't rested much since Floralia. A lot of events seem to happen all at once that she is sure the Ministry is stressed for back-up. Around the time they were finished with Floralia, Ross's recent letter arrived and it bore no good news. It detailed at the sinister events stirring at Dire Island and that he had to go there to help an old friend, leaving lonely and insecure Belladonna to deal with the world when she can't. The detective could only sigh at this. Why didn't Ross consult her first?

The detective insisted that Rapunzel went head on to the Kingdom of Alchemy because who knows how Belladonna is holding up. The last thing she heard about Belladonna is that she has a friend who is mature and understanding (she forgot her name) and, following the detective's advice, Ross had grown close with Belladonna. He sent photos for proof and the detective saw no reason to doubt it. However, Rapunzel wanted to go to the Kingdom of Alchemy with Ross so it was a grand detour to Dire Island, much to the detective's dismay. Sure, there was good news but Belladonna is still fragile. Any moment, she could break. She's still insecure. She hasn't found a way to love herself, let alone see her own self-worth and in an environment as cruel as Wesleyan, Belladonna is ill prepared to this.

All is at peace when they arrived. Odile was dressed in regal white garb. Rapunzel greeted her soon-to-be-husband while Desmond McBride explained to the detective everything. Elise, the former Swan Queen and Guardian of Dire Island, was a traitor. She tried to kill Goddess Flora during the ceremony. This is the plot Odile has learned and has seek Ross for aid because he's the only one she knew. 

Just then, a dragonfly hovered near the group with a letter. "What's that?" the detective asked, wondering whether something had gone wrong. Hopefully, not.

"It's Brigid. I asked her to keep an eye on Belladonna. Hopefully, all is good while I'm gone," Ross explained taking the parchment from the dragonfly, which disintegrated into dust.

Dearest Ross Red,

I wish to give you only good news but I cannot give exception in this important matter. Belladonna was bullied today and it was the worse of all her sufferings. Trixie brought with her a memory machine and in accessing it, Belladonna faced a truth unbearable. Turns out, Mother Gothel was the mastermind of it all. She planned it from the very beginning. She tricked Queen Melanie into drinking the potion of the night flower so the baby born was a daughter of death. She manipulated Belladonna into hurting her people. The guilt she felt at everything when she knew the truth. To be the source of all her misfortunes, that wound cuts deeper most of all. She told me how thanks to Mother Gothel she was locked up in a tower for years, hated by the people. All this time, she took out her rage to Goddess Flora, the wrong culprit. Belladonna ran out of campus and I followed her all day for fear of what she might do to herself. Sad to say, she attempted to kill herself and needs to be hospitalized but she is alive, well and strong. She's feeling better now but the wounds are still there. Don't worry, Sir Ross. I kept an eye out on her. She won't be alone.

Sincerely yours,

Brigid

Ross felt queasy at finishing the letter. Mother Gothel was the cause of her misery? For once, he felt pity. How could she be so heartless? Belladonna is broken for life. The detective, who had warned the couple of the potential troubles to arise from this, resisted the urge to say to Rapunzel. "Why do I always have to be right?"

"We have to get to Wesleyan," said Rapunzel, alarmed.

"As of this rate, I have to go back. The Ministry has declared me missing. I cannot not show up this time around," the detective informed them. "I'm sorry I could not come with you."

"We understand. We put you through a difficult time already," said Ross.

"Rapunzel, you are one lucky lass. Ross is one charismatic lad," Odile said to Ross's future wife. At that, the detective burst into fitfulls of laughter, prompting the others to stare at her but she couldn't help herself. Ross Red? Charismatic? Handsome is an acceptable compliment but charismatic? Wait till Odile realize how ill-tempered he is. 

Ross did not appreciate the detective humiliating him. Desmond McBride, the master tailor gestured for anyone to explain why she is laughing like crazy. Odile, the newly crowned swan queen was looking more confused than ever. "What's so funny?"

It was Ross Red who spoke for her. "Nothing. I'll see you around my friend."

Odile has decided to let that slide but she still looks confused. "Alright. I'll see you around."

The Swan Queen was kind to lend them a carriage for all the trouble they went through. Desmond will be dropped first to head to Trottleknucker Train Station. The detective will join him as well. Rapunzel and Ross Red will go to Wesleyan School of Magic to check up on Belladonna. They left her alone long enough.