Chapter 1: The Beginning To An End

FAIRYTALE DETECTIVE'S POV

The detective could only begin to fathom how things got out of control when she got to Floralia. Starting with the worst, her horse died from the pollen while it only weakened her. Truth be told, she would have died had she not been saved by Kai, who gave her a plant that will help her trek inside the kingdom. But there wasn't enough for the horse so the detective will surely get in trouble when the Ministry discovered she couldn't return the horse safely for the umpteenth time. If she ever showed her face in the office, it will lead to a probation. Second, she nearly got burned by Ross Red with his flaming sword and would have suffered third degree burns had it not been for Gerda. Five years ago, Raphael did the same. Don't these men ever think before they attack out of assumption of bad intentions? Third, he acted like a jerk and blamed her, of all people for Gerda's unconsciousness even if she said for the umpteenth time that it was the fault of a bunch of monster plants. Fourth, when they got to Rapunzel, a huge monster made of vines, larger than the tower of which they stood left the detective's eyes screaming, 'Holy! Moly! Wackamoly!'. Fifth, when the monster threatened to take their lives, Ross Red had the craziest idea of jumping from the tower, which is situated from a very high cliff so it was the same as having skydiving without the license. Sixth, another plant monster nearly killed her and dragged Ross down the depths of the canal. Gladly, Ross survived. Seventh, another plant attack had it not been for the presence of Snow White. Eighth, one more plant monster and the detective is going to have to think twice before taking up gardening as a hobby. Ninth, finally they have reached the tower with no challenge to their way. It felt like they have reached the boss level and the detective was relieved. This was the only case that left her utterly exhausted. The detective did not hesitate and raised the sword to kill that giant, carnivorous-looking flower.

"No!" Belladonna screamed. "Not my nightbloom! Let me go!" she grunted. "Rapunzel. Help me!" she whined.

The detective watched as Rapunzel laid an arm on her fiancé, silent as a mute. "Rapunzel!" Ross caressed her cheek. "I know this is not your doing! If only I did not leave your side."

The detective failed to observe that Belladonna, who realized Ross knew what she did to Rapunzel and who noticed that her one arm is free, planted her nails in his chest, piercing through his clothes. She will not let Ross or the detective get in the way of her plans. The detective realized this too late when she heard Ross scream and saw the tiny puffs of smoke escaping from where the wound had been. She could only watch as he gathered the last of his strength and burned the Tiara of Reverie.

Rapunzel gasped as though she emerged from deep water and saw Ross so weak. "What the...Ross!" 

The Fire Prince finally succumbed to Belladonna's poison. Tears spilled from her eyes. A drop spilling on Ross's body. "Is this what you want, Bella? All this pain and death."

"No! It's just...I don't want to be alone," Belladonna confessed and the detective can tell she is allowing herself to be vulnerable for the first time, no longer bottling up the secrets she kept inside. It was only then that she realized that she must have been lonely. Having to grow fearing your own power and be feared by everyone, not wanted, not loved, nothing couldn't be more painful than that.

Rapunzel hugged Belladonna, which surprised the young girl. Meanwhile, Red Ross was healed of his wounds because of his fiancé life-saving powers. All was well again.

...

Belladonna was a scared little child, clinging to Rapunzel when they left the tower. They stood by the gates of the Floralia and the detective saw Belladonna's hesitation. She had been locked up in a tower for a long time. Seeing the outside world thrills her and at the same time, gives her fear. Rapunzel noticed it. "Bella, are you alright?"

"What's out there?" she asked.

It was Ross who responded and sadly, it wasn't exactly reassuring. "The world is dangerous but also beautiful. It can be full of monsters as well as roses."

The girl only hid behind her taller sister and Rapunzel shot her soon-to-be husband with a glare. "Bella, Ross and I will be here with you. You're not alone," she assured her sister.

Belladonna calmed a bit and slowly walked out of the gate with the rest. They bid farewell to Gerda and upon the request of Ross, the detective accompanied them to the cottage. During the journey, Belladonna would often remark about the beautiful things she sees but she only spoke to Rapunzel. She was the only noise in the journey. It was dark when they arrived at Ross's cottage. Rapunzel and her sister already went inside but Ross remained, wanting to speak with the detective.

"If what I'm thinking is correct..."

"Yes, I need you to stay here and help Belladonna like me," Ross cut her off. The detective resisted the urge to groan and bury her head in her hands, wishing she left the scene earlier than be with this one messed up family. She is just tired and while she pitied Belladonna, she did not want to be anywhere near Princess Monster Plant Maker. However, in her line of work, she must act professional, even if all she wants to do is smack this idiot in the head.

"Why do I have to do this? You could have asked Gerda instead," she complained.

"I do not want to put Gerda in this after everything she went through," Ross reasoned.

"Oh wow! You aren't considerate of what I went through?" the detective said sarcastically. Screw, professionalism.

"Isn't that your job?" Ross argued back, amused with their little chit-chat. Obviously, he wasn't like this with Rapunzel. The detective bets he acted all chivalrous around her so, for once she could see where reluctant sister-in-law is coming from. Fair point.

"I am not going anywhere near her, ok!" the detective said, throwing her hands up in the air.

"Detective, please!" he begged, setting aside his pride and the detective relented.

"Fine."

"Yes, thank you," he said happily. "I promise, I will return the favor someday."

The detective sighed and entered the house with him. Perhaps, the Ministry could wait a little longer before she divulge the bad news about the horse.