"Weapon 86" - Smauggy

"A fantasy/ science-fiction story set in a post-apocalyptic world

After the "Event" that wiped out nearly half of the earth's population, The Omery Army, based in Australia, has taken on the task of protecting the remaining civilians and fighting back against mutated enemies like the Xree. 

On the brink of war with the Xree, General Commander Richard Rockwell has tasked Colonel Kyden's Unit X with retrieving the one weapon that could save them all: Weapon 86. 

But what's the truth behind Weapon 86? What is General Commander Rockwell hiding from the very people he claims to be protecting?"

Blurb taken from "Weapon 86" by Smauggy, Wattpad. 

I'll be the first to be admit that this one was long overdue

Anyone who's familiar with Smauggy's work, can relate when I say that I've slept on her and waited too long to get on my soundbox and just shout for the whole world to know about her marvelous work. 

An extremely talented author, I fell in love with how detailed and well-thought the world of Weapon 86  was woven into existence. The characters, the races, the landscapes, the history, etc. It's all so impecabbly done and honestly, seeing an author show this much dedication to her work makes me respect her even more. 

Though, the story is meant to be fantastical in nature, one can't help see the similarities between the world of Weapon 86 with that of our own, specifically on the issue of fear of the "Other", which leads to tragedy and death. The Xree are persecuted, hunted and killed because of their "otherness" to those living in colonies protected by the Omery Army, and it all comes down to the irrational fear that comes from "othering" those that are different from what's considered "normal". 

"Othering is a phenomenon in which some individuals or groups are defined and labeled as not fitting in within the norms of a social group.

It is an "us vs. them" way of thinking about human connections and relationships. This process essentially involves looking at others and saying "they are not like me" or "they are not one of us." 

There are countless examples that exist, presently, in our society where we've alienated, persecuted and harmed others due to the differences that we note from them. It's truly an amazing thing to read a fantasy book and be able to relate the same scenarios depicted to a real-life experience. 

.

Amidst the craziness, we see the story of love and I appreciate that the focus is not just on the romantic, budding love story of Naya and Thomas. If I could just take a minute to admire the relationship dymanic between Naya and Thomas, where a strong-willed woman with passion and heart is celebrated by her significant other. 

It's causing a lot of goosies on my arms right now, just thinking about how Thomas basked in the idea of his woman expressing her fierceness and allowing her to be a force to reckoned with. He wasn't intimidated by it and in no way tried to suppress it. Could it really get any better than positive representation of masculinity?! Come on now! 

There are expressions of other forms of love: sibling love, familial love, community love. There are a few tear-jerking moments, heart-pacing climatic scenes as well as loads of suspense. 

I absolutetly love the fight and battle scenes. The tangible feeling you get while reading as if you're there, secured this book in my top five GOAT on Wattpad. 

Weapon 86 has a huge, right amount dosage of Black Woman/Man Magic and we're absolutely here for it! 

To see black/brown characters as main characters in such alternative, yet massive field, is such a proud moment to witness. 

If you want to read Weapon 86, you can head along to @Smauggy profile page and check out the book and an array of other notable works. Fair warning, she does write using tropes that might not to everyone's tastes; there's absolutely no need to come at her for it. 

And scene ...! 

Tell me your thoughts, I'd love to hear them in the comment section. 

Until the next Reader's Review, 

 With love, Sharlotte.