"Monster" by IcyandOtherEmotions

Bryce had been a good kid

Bryce had been a good kid. A better than good kid actually, with his sense of justice and high morals. He wanted to be a police officer and do good things for his community and the world. But then he was kidnapped because of one of his many good deeds, and worse yet, he had dragged his girlfriend, Krissy, into the dangerous mess he had made for himself.

Their kidnapper was a woman, a mother, who blamed him for her son's imprisonment and later death. The woman's goal was to torture him, break him, and turn a good kid bad. It wouldn't have worked if not for Krissy - the good kid's one weakness. 

The one thing he would do anything for, including becoming a Monster.

Source: IcyandOtherEmotions "Monster", 

https://www.wattpad.com/story/195458895-monster-bwwm-complete

com/story/195458895-monster-bwwm-complete

Everyone loves a good mafia story. 

We love the sleek, suave, and smoothness of the male character with his dark, brooding charisma added in with a tragic backstory. The strong female with wit and confidence that can bring the male lead down a peg or too. 

Whatever it may be there is always something for everyone in a good, well-written mafia story. 

I am of the opinion that any mafia story needs to have a good dose of gritty, dark, and violence to illustrate the nature of the organised crime world. As much as most mafia stories are driven by some ill-fated love story between the main characters; most good ones are able to highlight the constant danger and threat that exists within the environment that the characters exist in. 

It's always a missed opportunity when a writer does not take advantage of the many story arc possibilities that exist from the reality that our favorites characteres live under the constant threat of death, betrayal, and sabotage at any given moment that could just implode at any given moment. 

With that being said finding a book that pushes the lid in exhibiting the violent and cruel nature of those within organised crime whilst giving the characters arguably real and justifiable reasons for their actions and what's behind their cruelty, is truly a rarity. It is quite arresting when you come across a villian that you can connect with or atleast understand their reasoning for their actions. 

Monster is not for the faint-hearted. It is not for the hopeful or happily ever after dreamers. It is a story about justice, a mother's love, obessesion versus love, and what it really takes to be a monster. The story is woven through details of a mother's revenge, a tragic breakup, and a gruelling breaking of a character. 

It is dark, violent, and sometimes cruel. There are chapters with shocking materials and unexpected turns; it is just the amount of hurt, if you can handle it of course, that will bruise the reader and jaw-slacked for some time. All of this is, of course, by design and it exhibits the writer's amazing technique and smart decision-making in developing and delivering a solid storyline. 

In giving us an all access pass into Bryce and Krissy's mental breaking, we are invested in their survival and in the toxic obessesive, co-dependant relationship that exists after their horrific experience. It's toxic we know, it won't end well and it doesn't have much a postive outlook. But we understand why, we are able to trace back the journey to that point. 

It is also enrapturing how many interpretation we can make or conclusions we can make just from being a part of the journey. It is a show of good writing when we are faced with the task of trying to make these complicated interpretations or conclusions stick, especially owing to how morally challenging it can be trying to root for an arguably immoral character. 

Maybe that's wherein lies the magic of Monster setting us up to fall in love with unlovable characters. 

Nonetheless Monster is one of the great works from a writer unafraid to maintain the status quo regarding dark materials. IcyandOtherEmotions is one to dive deeper than ever to trudge up really chilling, dark, and cruelity that can exist in story-telling. 

...

The Reader Review Rating - 4/5 stars