Sparks

Arizona's POV:

Callie and I's divorce is finally finalized. I'm sad but I want her to be happy even if it isn't with me. It's time for us to move on. Today is my 2nd week in my fellowship with Herman. She told me about her tumor a few days ago but didn't give me many details just that it's inoperable and that she's going to die.

I've thought long and hard about this decision for the past couple days, so today I'm going to finally act on it.

After my surgery with Herman I see Alex. "Alex I have something I have to do.", I say as I walk up to him.

He turns around, "Just do it."

"I don't think I can. It's bad, and I'm not god at doing bad stuff. Will you do it?", I beg him in a non begging manner.

He takes my phone from my hand. "What am I doing?", he asks.

"I can't tell you. It's so bad." I hope he still asks to do it.

"Then what am I doing? You know what, I don't want to know. Whatever it is, you can do it." he hands my phone back to me.

"Just do it." he walks away.

"Okay. Okay. Okay." I press the call button.

They answer.

"Hi. Um, this is Dr. Robbins. Um I'm- I'm Amelia Shepherd's fellow at Grey-Sloan."

I said Amelia's name when I wanted to say Derek's name. I haven't even seen Amelia since Hopkins 6 years ago, but I know she's here.

I zone back into my call.

"Um, yeah. I-I'm calling about a patient of Dr. Weaver's, Nicole Herman?"

The lady asks to put me on hold.

"Yep. Uh-huh. No, I'll wait." I take a deep breath.

"She is? Oh great, great. Um, well Dr. Herman is requesting that her neuro records be sent to Dr. Shepherd."

Yeah, yeah. Histories, scans, C.T.s... you know what actually can you just send it all? Yea, care of-of Robbins. Thank you. Thank you so much!" I finally exhale as I end the call.

I can't believe I just did that. I speed walk to radiology as fast as possible.

"Hi. Um, did you get anything messengered for um, Dr. Shepherd- a chart? It might have been addressed to Dr. Robbins.", I ask the radiologist nurse.

"Mm. I don't-", she tries to say but gets cut off by Amelia walking around the corner.

She's gorgeous, even more than before. That's surprising because she's always been the most beautiful woman to me. I swear I see her eyes sparkle. I know it's cheesy to say but it's true.

"Looking for this?", she asks while holding Herman's records.

I walk up to take them. "Yeah. Yeah. Thanks." I start walking away as we make subtle eye contact.

"Is this our Nicole Herman?... Dr. Herman?... What's going on?" She looks at me sternly as I turn back around.

- The scan viewing room -

I sigh. "It's bad, right?", I ask sitting next to her.

"It's spectacular, a big bad mother of an astrocytoma. See how it ignores the anatomical borders?" She points to the tumor on the MRI scan.

"It's like a perfect butterfly. Look, it starts in the sub frontal and extends practically into the hypothalamus... that is a thing of beauty.", she says as she sighs and looks at me.

Amelia's POV:

I rest my head on my hand as I look at her.

"Is she showing symptoms?", I ask as I feel my eyes wander to her beautiful breasts.

She catches me looking and I gain eye contact with her again.

She smiles as she says,"No. No, but she's- well, wait. What kind of symptoms would they be?"

I can't help, but smile brightly at her dimples.

I take a look back at the scan, "Oh wow. With this, it could be almost anything from dizziness, headaches, uh, vision loss, inappropriate sexual behavior, impulse control stuff, fatigue-" She cuts me off.

"Fatigue? Uh... she texted me earlier to say that she needed to lie down for a while." I see a little worry start to fill in her eyes.

"Arizona, who else knows about this? People know about this, right?"

She gives me a nervous smile and I can see worry just take over now.

"Yeah, everybody who needs to know, knows. But she's prefer discretion, you know?"

I see her start to tap her fingers like she used to do at Hopkins before her first few solo surgeries, so I decide to do what I did back then...

We lock eyes and then our lips lock. After what feels like forever, but was only a few seconds we both pull away.

"Sorry.", I tell her looking down.

"It's okay Ame. I think I needed that." She caresses my chin and lifts my chin up to look into her beautiful blues.

We just sit there in silence smiling and looking into each other's eyes.

"It's just Callie and I just got divorced so if you could just keep this to yourself... just for a little bit."

"Of course. I'm a locked box."

"Thanks." She gives me a smile as she gets up.

I understand where she's coming from because if I were to tell Mer or Maggie it would for sure find it's way back to Callie and I know they have to keep a mature relationship for Sofia. No one knows that I have been with a woman before. She's my first and only, but I've hinted around it to people before. No one has ever caught on though, I don't think. Even though it was one kiss since residency I swear nothing has changed. It's like when we'd wake up every morning to each other.

I just broke up with Owen for cheating on me a couple weeks ago and now that I sit here and think about it, Zona is the only person I've kissed that I've ever actually felt well... sparks.