Time to go

- The day of Herman's Surgery -

Amelia's POV:

I just spent my entire day presenting to the whole hospital my plan to resect the whole tumor. Everyone doubts me, but I know I can do this I'm going to prove to everyone that I can do the impossible.

As I ask for one more question from the audience before I leave. Callie stands up.

"Yes, in the back." I point to her.

"Will you have help?", she asks rudely.

"Um...sorry?", I ask stunned.

"Well, I'm just uh- well are you gonna be doing this whole surgery yourself or is Derek- uh Dr. Shepherd coming? I'm- I'm just- I'm just asking. I mean given everything, is it a good idea? Should you be doing this yourself?"

That about sent me over the edge, but I smile and keep my calm.

"Well, I am, so..." I sigh and leave.

As I go back to the scan room and sit down, Nicole comes up to me.

"I need you to scan me. Something's happening. I'm experiencing symptoms- fuzziness around the edges a little like, uh blinders, and it's uh dark- darker than it should be, I think." I can see that she's panicking.

"Okay. Let's go." I help her to the MRI.

As the scans are pulling up, Arizona rushes through the doorway.

"Hey I need Herman right now. Glenda Castillo's baby is in distress and Glenda is severely hypertensive, showing signs of heart failure. We need to operate on her immediately, so if you could finish up... What are you doing? Why are you just standing there? I-" now she's panicking too.

I turn to face her. "Arizona..."

"Oh, God."

"It's time."

"Now?" She looks like she's about to cry.

"I'm gonna go... get an OR ready."

"Okay. Okay. You ready f-for this?"

"Mm-hmm." this is all I could get out without crying off nervousness.

"A-Amelia."

"I'll get an OR prepped. You'll inform the patient?" I go to walk away and she gently grabs my face and gives me a meaningful kiss.

"You can do this Ame. I know you can."

I give her a smile and go to prep the OR.

Arizona's POV:

I walk into the MRI room.

"Oh, Robbins.", she grunts as she hops off the MRI machine.

"Surgeries all finished?"

"Yeah." I sigh while looking at her.

She takes a deep breath. "I see. Shepherd's prepping the OR?"

I look away. "Yes." I look back at her.

"If I had to guess, I'd say the tumor has invaded the optic chiasm."

I nod in agreement. The nurses bring in a gurney.

"My chariot awaits. A little privacy guys?", she asks the nurses.

"Did you, uh, need me for something- a patient?" She starts putting on her hospital gown and I turn around to give her privacy.

"Um, yeah. Glenda Castillo's baby has hydrops. Mom is mirroring, and she's going into CHF."

"Wow. Looks like a big day for both of us. What you need to do first, is try to embolize the vessels fetoscopically. Make sure her BP is stabilized."

"She has you. Amelia has you. This is the point where you trust her, okay?"

"Don't go in without checking Glenda's platelet counts, an crossmatching." She ignores me.

"This is the point where you trust her, okay?", I repeat myself.

"All set." I turn back around and she's fully changed to her hospital gown.

"Don't let Glenda's platelet count drop below-"

"100. I know."

"Will you tie me?"

"Yeah." I tie her gown, as I start to cry and she sighs.

We both take a deep breath as I help her onto the gurney.

"Let's do this."

I try to tell her something comforting, but nothing comes out. I open the door so the nurses can take her to the OR and as they start rolling the gurney she grabs my hand. Holding her hand the whole way there she gives me more advice for Glenda's surgery. We get to the OR and she's scared.

"Hey. Hey. Hey. Amelia's got this. You got this."

I continue to hold her hand as Ame gets scrubbed in. Nicole let's go off my hand. "It's time to go..."