Chapter 17

When Mikee finally found where I had hidden myself, his expression immediately contorted into a rare mix of anger, worry and frustration.

I noticed that he had bruises across his rugged face and his right hand was bandaged. My initial reaction was, “What happened to your face?”

Detective Michael didn’t deign to give me a response though. Usually, he’d be spitting admonishments at times like this. But this was actually just the first time I’ve been badly wounded during my leisurely investigation spree, not counting my abduction two years ago.

I told him in a light tone, seemingly akin to half a jest, “Would you believe me if I told you that some ninja just kicked my butt?” Laughing lightly, I continued, “It was a real life, ass-kicking, sword-wielding, shadow-blending ninja! Ah, it sucks getting beaten, but at least I’m not the only one injured.”

Despite having been attacked, I felt somewhat elated that I was able to meet such a legendary martial artist. If not for my nimble reflexes and incredibly good luck, I had to admit that I’d probably kicked the bucket tonight. It was one of those rare moments when I felt like I was so close to dying, and it excited me. I mumbled to myself blithely, “It was epic…”

It was way past eleven and  undeniably cold. My pale stomach was bare for the world to see since I used the soft material as substitute bandage wraps. I lost my own jacket and cap during my attempt to flee and used them to divert my pursuer to other directions.

Mikee took off his jacket as he walked over to my direction at the corner of the dark alley, sporting a grim expression. Squatting down, he placed the jacket over my shoulders before swiftly carrying me like a common damsel.

Since my right thigh was not spared by that Shinobi, I couldn’t walk properly yet. So I let him carry me in his strong arms without complaining and wrapped my arms around his neck.

The jacket was filled with Mikee’s musky scent and warmth, enveloping me. I felt safe and warm like a butterfly in its cocoon. I didn’t like the feeling…

I stole a glance at Mikee’s profile which was only mere inches from my face. He looks so pissed. I wouldn’t be surprised if tomorrow, he’d lock me in a large container and ship me off back to my home address.

“I feel a bit dizzy from blood loss,” I mumbled, feeling my eyelids start to grow heavy from fatigue and exhausted adrenaline. “Being stuck in an empty alley sucks, especially when there’s the pungent smell of urine and undisposed bio and non-bio wastes surrounding you.”

While Mikee was walking towards his favorite gray SUV, I told him how my arm and leg were just pouring out blood earlier. Fortunately, they stopped after I tied them with cotton wrappings tightly, even taking the time to tie the ends into cute ribbons.

Once we reached his car, he gently installed me by the shotgun seat and put my seatbelt on for me. It was awkward the entire way since Mikee refused to speak to me. Heck, I’m very good at spouting nonsense, but even my superb eloquence cannot pierce through a wall of deafening silence.

There was no need to mention the repercussions of this event. My old man, always playing the overprotective father, had always been a worrywart. He was even more stringent than my adoptive parents.

We had knock-down-drag-out arguments at matters concerning my safety, exchanging whys and wherefores back and forth to persuade and dissuade each other. Though deep down, I knew Mikee mostly had the sound reasoning percentage, I have always been as stubborn as a mule. Everyone knew this certain defect in my nature; the more I am deterred, the harder I persevere. I always test my limits and try to surpass them, even if my life is put at risk. It’s the thrill of danger that makes me feel alive and I craved that feeling all the time.